Quality Kilimanjaro operators

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Africa. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Africa Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Louis.e

Quality Kilimanjaro operators

by Louis.e » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:20 am

Hi everyone,

I would like to climb Kilimanjaro next summer (there are two of us). We would like to spend a maximum of £2000 each and would like to spend a minimum of six days on the mountain.

I'm looking for suggestions on good guiding companies that fit these requirements and also possibly good routes to try?

Many thanks

Tonka

Re: Quality Kilimanjaro operators

by Tonka » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:44 pm

Sent you a link through PM of a detailed report. Do a search here also as there are plenty of posts on the subject. Stay away from all the "budget" operators is my advice.

The following user would like to thank Tonka for this post
Louis.e

atavist

by atavist » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:55 am

I climbed earlier this year. My impression was that the food and housing is pretty standard for every company, at least on Marangu. Everyone eats in the same dining hall and sleeps in same bunks.

Tonka

by Tonka » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:19 am

atavist wrote:I climbed earlier this year. My impression was that the food and housing is pretty standard for every company, at least on Marangu. Everyone eats in the same dining hall and sleeps in same bunks.

Unless things have changed dramatically in the last couple years this is not true. It's very similar if you go with big groups but every guiding group has their own equipment and you can go private, which I recommend. Private meaning, just your group but you still need the guides.

rocky29oct

by rocky29oct » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:41 am

You should check into Zara tours. They are local and one of best tour operators.. Lots of US and european companies have ties with them. I did 3 weeks with them and they were very good.

Poncherelo

by Poncherelo » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:00 am

Hi,
I heard very good feedback about this guide / team. https://goo.gl/zK3Npd
Two friends of mine left with them in May this year. Apparently they are one of the best ! They manage the acclimatisation very well and have good logistics ! They both summited Kili and it was their first "mountaineering" experience.
Good luck

Roger

by Roger » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:31 pm

Sure I may be biased but if you want the best local Tanzanian climbing company for Kilimanjaro then ask Anne-Marie Flammersfeld who chose Trekili Eco Expeditions to undertake her 3 day Umbwe route acclimatisation prior to her Kilimanjaro speed record. Anne-Marie also posted a nice review on Tripadvisor-Trekili is perfect for any kind of adventure!

NEW FEMALE SPEED RECORD ON KILIMANJARO

German ultra runner Anne-Marie Flammersfeld (37) has broken the female speed record on Kilimanjaro.

The UVU athlete took 8 hours and 32 minutes to reach the top of Kilimanjaro, Uhuru Peak (5895 meters), smashing the previous female speed record held by Brit Becky Shuttleworth by three hours.

Flammersfeld, a sports scientist by profession, used the shortest and steepest route for the record attempt – the Umbwe Route, which is around 30km in length and 4,200 meters of positive height.

“This route is mandatory if you want to set a new record,” says Flammersfeld.

Starting in the rain forest, the Umbwe route turns quickly into alpine terrain, with the last 1000 meters having to be climbed on rocks.

Flammersfeld started at 5:20 am in the complete darkness of the rainforest. The first stage and second stage of the climb from Umbwe gate to Umbwe Cave Camp and onto Barranco Camp went extremely well for the UVU athlete.

“I ran surprisingly fast on the first 2000 meters and was delighted when I passed halfway mark after 3 hours and 30 minutes.” said Flammersfeld. “From Barranco Camp at about 3900 meters to Arrow Glacier Camp at 4900 meters I could feel the thin air for the first time and I slowed down a bit. When I reached the 5000 limit the altitude hit me in a brutal way. Every step was tedious and the altitude was just extremely stressful”.

The last few kilometers were not easy for the sports scientist, each step had to be carefully considered and after every 100 steps Flammersfeld said she had to rest to drink and breathe.

At 1:52pm the ultra runner reached the summit and set a new female speed record on an ascent on Kilimanjaro.

She jubilantly expressed her feeling: “When I finally reached the summit, I was overjoyed, but also wanted to run down as soon as possible!”.

Her decent down to Mweka Camp took 4 hours and 26 minutes, undercutting the previous female ascent and descent record held by Debbie Bachmann (18h31min).

Flammersfeld was supported by a team of guides from Trekili who were waiting respectively after 1,000 meters above sea level at the camps to supply her with water and some food.

Flammersfeld acclimatised for the speed run a few days previously by reaching the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro in four days over the Umbwe route along with two Italian friends, Giuseppe Milanesi and Alessio Piccoli.

Return to Africa