Newbie,Where to start ice climbing.

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
samson19

Newbie,Where to start ice climbing.

by samson19 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:34 pm

I'm coming to M.T Washington in March of 2016 for my Fifty Birthday, I want to climb Pinnacle Gully,I watched You tuber"s say that was their first time ice climbing as well.I'm i moving to fast?

nartreb

Re: Newbie,Where to start ice climbing.

by nartreb » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:50 pm

1. Where do you live? Do you know what winter is like in northern New England? (Yes, March is still winter.)

2. Do you have any experience rock climbing, or any other situation where you use ropes for safety? Would you be comfortable setting your own gear, setting up a rappel anchor, etc?

3. Who are you going with? If you're not a good trad climber already, the only chance you have of getting up Pinnacle Gully in one piece is if you hire a professional guide, or are going with somebody who could qualify to be one. Your guide should be asking you questions like the ones above, among others, and can make an informed decision about a reasonable objective for you.

4. I don't know what YouTube video you saw. I'm assuming those guys were already accomplished trad climbers. I actually think ice is easier than rock in terms of mastering the gear, so it's not really shocking that some rock climbers have the balls to do Pinnacle as their first ice climb. But I don't recommend it. Pinnacle is a solid WI 3 - consistently steep. On most days it would make a lot more sense for somebody who is a good climber but new to ice to start with something slightly easier, like ODell's gully (WI 2+). If you're not a strong climber, start with something less technical, like Central Gully (WI 1).

samson19

by samson19 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:28 am

I live in Plainfield IL, 45 Mins south of Chicago IL, I have done indoor rock climbing , my brother an I went to take a picture of RedRock Mountain in Nevada, we just decided to climb it with no gear,I also have no gear experience. Yes I thought about hiring a professional guide...Yes I know about winter in New England , but not have experience it. Closest we had was a couple Polar Vortex's here I'm sure pale compare to New England ..this is the video I mention from youtube .https://youtu.be/bMVt9M5p4Vk Thank you for responding,any information you have will help me out.Keep in touch..

nartreb

by nartreb » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:46 am

Well, the only info I can add is that I watched the video and all it says is that the narrator had never ice climbed before. It's pretty safe to assume that Pavel, the guy on the "sharp" end of the rope, had previous experience with ice climbing.

I know nothing about "redrock mountain" - do you mean Mt Wilson in Red Rock Canyon??

Overall, if you want my advice, yes, you're moving too fast unless you get yourself a guide.

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:49 am

Ice climbing is a pretty psycho way to start climbing. You know what they say about ice climbers.....

samson19

Re: nartreb

by samson19 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:08 pm

Thank you for your information..RedRock Mountain is in Nevada 17 miles out of Las vegas,where I was climbing was about 3 thousand feet,I'm not counting all the bunny hills i took my kids on sleding lol..I'm taking your advice about checking out Odell and central gully looks like a good start for me..I also found out Starved Rock has ice climbing by my house..Be Safe..

samson19

by samson19 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:10 pm

Sierra Ledge Rat wrote:Ice climbing is a pretty psycho way to start climbing. You know what they say about ice climbers.....

I'm waiting to Hear??? I Love winter and the cold,what a way to top it Off Ice climbing...

CClaude

by CClaude » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:39 am

Assuming this is an honest question, if you do it with a professional guide, yes, its very doable.

Before going, become proficient with ropework, belaying and such. Get a guide to bring you out ice climbing for a couple of days...one or two days. Assuming you donm't lead, Pinnacle Gully is actually really easy. Its just the objective hazards, weather and avi hazards. The biggest risk outside of weather and avi hazards is tripping on crampons if you aren't used to them. Not suggesting you go out and lead it, since if you aren't used to ice climbing, irregardless how easy, its very unforgiving.

samson19

by samson19 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:08 am

To: CClaude. Yes it is a honest question, I want to learn the proper steps to ice climbing i wouldn't want to injure my self or others.. I'm glad to stumble onto this sight,Lots of great information,so much info..looking at youtube to learn about ropework, my goal to hopefully ice climb starvedrock this winter season if winter permits (El Nino ), starvedrock is about 537 ft,good starter but i will still look for partner..Only mountains in Illinois is the mountain of clothes in my bathroom hamper...Thank You for taking the time to read my page and giving me advice...stay in Touch..

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:08 pm

Sierra Ledge Rat wrote:You know what they say about ice climbers.....

Return to General