Boot fitting

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
JohnRambo

Boot fitting

by JohnRambo » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:37 pm

I want to buy a mountaineering boot for Aconcagua/Denali. I'm looking at La Sportiva G2 SM (from what I read it should be warmer and lighter than Spantik).
I reached out to a european outfitter and the sizing of the g2 is the same as Batura so I would be pretty happy to order from them, but here comes my problem.
I live in San Francisco area, and I am unable to find anyone who would have these shoes on stock, so I'm not sure how am I supposed to try them on.
How did you guys go around this problem? Maybe you know some shop in this area where they would have them?

Thanks!

spapagiannis

Re: Boot fitting

by spapagiannis » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:56 pm

As far as I know, the two closest places to try mountaineering boots in-person with a boot fitter is Bishop, or Mt. Shasta. The Fifth Season in Shasta is highly recommended (work with Jacques or Ben). That's where I bought boots. Great people, and thorough. I know they stock many popular single boots (including the Batura), and the Spantik. As for the new G2 SM, I'm not sure. Be prepared to spen a few hours there when getting fitted, particularly for a double boot!

The following user would like to thank spapagiannis for this post
JohnRambo

JHH60

by JHH60 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:08 am

Sunrise Mountain Sports in Livermore usually has Baturas, Baruntses (which you didn't mention but might consider as well) and Olympus Mons in stock and can almost certainly order other La Sportiva boots for you. They also have Asolo and Koflach plastics which might work. Assuming the inner boot on the G2 is heat moldable you will probably want to have that done at a shop experienced in molding mountain and ski boot liners (like Sunrise or Fifth Season). They'd probably do that for free if you bought from them but charge you if you bought online.

The following user would like to thank JHH60 for this post
JohnRambo

spapagiannis

by spapagiannis » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:28 am

Interesting! Good to know. I've never heard of that place. But great to hear climbing boot fitting/in-store purchase is more accessible than I previously thought.

no avatar
JohnRambo

by JohnRambo » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:37 am

Thanks a lot guys.
@JHH60: I will check them out this Saturday, as I will be visiting my girlfriends sister in Fremont. If I will end up wanting the g2 more than Spantik, I will still give them business for the shoe molding at the very least.

outdoorabstract

by outdoorabstract » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:12 am

I am also looking for boots right now. Orders went in to a variety of online retailers that carried boots that I considered candidates. They showed up at my house. I tried them then kept the winners and sent back the rest. The total was certainly $5K+ but all the returns are credited back to my account and it seemed a very efficient way to make the selection.

seano

by seano » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:15 am

outdoorabstract wrote:I am also looking for boots right now. Orders went in to a variety of online retailers that carried boots that I considered candidates. They showed up at my house. I tried them then kept the winners and sent back the rest. The total was certainly $5K+ but all the returns are credited back to my account and it seemed a very efficient way to make the selection.

The fact that someone thinks a $5,000 line of credit is a prerequisite for a pair of boots makes me just a bit sad.

outdoorabstract

by outdoorabstract » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:11 am

seano wrote:
outdoorabstract wrote:I am also looking for boots right now. Orders went in to a variety of online retailers that carried boots that I considered candidates. They showed up at my house. I tried them then kept the winners and sent back the rest. The total was certainly $5K+ but all the returns are credited back to my account and it seemed a very efficient way to make the selection.

The fact that someone thinks a $5,000 line of credit is a prerequisite for a pair of boots makes me just a bit sad.

I said that? Really?

aglane

by aglane » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:10 am

If REI carries these boots you're interested in, try phoning and asking for their shoe department.

I've had very good results from defining what variables of last and all I need--wide forefoot, narrow heel, high toebox for hammer toes, etc.

Return to Gear