Possible move to Wyoming

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
FootwithanE

Possible move to Wyoming

by FootwithanE » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:56 am

Hello. I may have the opportunity in the next few months to take a job in the Jackson Hole, WY area (an actual career job opportunity) and was looking to get some feedback on what life is like in the area, including the climbing and climbing community. Where I currently live there are 0 alpine objectives and there are long drives to reach any decent sport or ice climbs, making it difficult to even make a weekend out of it. I spent the majority of my vacation time last year traveling west or to places like RRG in order to climb and it'd be great to be somewhere I could be in easy reach of all styles of climbing through various seasons.

For those who know, what do the seasons look like in Wyoming (length/months of each)? Is it easy to find climbing partners? And apart from climbing, do you enjoy life in WY?

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Possible move to Wyoming

by Scott » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:36 pm

I would definitely go. I've worked a few seasons in Jackson. As far as the seasons go, yes, it's cold there in winter, but also pretty.

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?wy4910

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:53 am

FootwithanE wrote:Hello. I may have the opportunity in the next few months to take a job in the Jackson Hole, WY area (an actual career job opportunity) and was looking to get some feedback on what life is like in the area, including the climbing and climbing community. Where I currently live there are 0 alpine objectives and there are long drives to reach any decent sport or ice climbs, making it difficult to even make a weekend out of it. I spent the majority of my vacation time last year traveling west or to places like RRG in order to climb and it'd be great to be somewhere I could be in easy reach of all styles of climbing through various seasons.

For those who know, what do the seasons look like in Wyoming (length/months of each)? Is it easy to find climbing partners? And apart from climbing, do you enjoy life in WY?

Life in WY is awesome if you like it laid back and remote. This year we had a mild fall. Many years we have snow every month but 3, and above 11k.....prob every month. Climbing partners are easy to find in Jackson, Lander, or Laramie.......other places are harder.

bsinc1962

by bsinc1962 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:46 pm

Make the move, it's awesome out here.
The only thing I'll say is that housing in and around Jackson can be a challenge. Real estate prices are steep and affordable housing is practically non-existent. There are plenty of jobs available but limited as where to put the workers.

Having previously lived in New England I put the weather on par with Southern to Lakes region of New Hampshire.

Climbing/hiking partners and outdoor activities are plentiful.

During Summer the corridor from the Tetons to Yellowstone can get crowded. Over here in Dubois crowds are few and far between.

no avatar
FootwithanE

by FootwithanE » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:21 am

Yeah I have been looking at housing and it's likely I'll end up in Idaho or quite a bit south of Jackson proper. I am coming from the NE so that's good to hear the weather is similar. Thanks for the responses, nice to hear they are all positive. Making one more visit in Jan. before making a final decision.

fatdad

by fatdad » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:59 pm

I had always heard that lots of working stiffs in Jackson actually lived in Driggs, ID. Looks way more affordable.

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:48 am

Prices are cheaper in Star Valley too but the commute in winter is annoying.

no avatar
FootwithanE

by FootwithanE » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:01 am

I saw Star Valley was quite a bit cheaper and was considering looking there, but do you think that drive in the winter is worse then going over the pass into Idaho?

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:13 pm

FootwithanE wrote:I saw Star Valley was quite a bit cheaper and was considering looking there, but do you think that drive in the winter is worse then going over the pass into Idaho?

Probably not.....it's a crap shoot. Either way it's beautiful.

dayinthelife

by dayinthelife » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:31 am

I think I'd rather do the Pass daily than slug it out doing the Snake River Canyon, but only with a reliable rig. The Pass is more likely to get closed occasionally by avalanches or weather, but that happens to the Canyon, too, just not as often. You don't have to go all the way to Driggs for housing... Victor would do. Both choices have lousy rush hour traffic, just a fact of life these days in Teton County. Edge to the Pass, slightly less time in the car.

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:15 am

dayinthelife wrote:I think I'd rather do the Pass daily than slug it out doing the Snake River Canyon, but only with a reliable rig. The Pass is more likely to get closed occasionally by avalanches or weather, but that happens to the Canyon, too, just not as often. You don't have to go all the way to Driggs for housing... Victor would do. Both choices have lousy rush hour traffic, just a fact of life these days in Teton County. Edge to the Pass, slightly less time in the car.

Yeah....jus winter in WY! The edge prob goes to the canyon for gas mileage though.

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)