Mountain pants for a short guy.

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
Angus Brookes

Mountain pants for a short guy.

by Angus Brookes » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:58 am

I am very short - around 5'5" - and am have a hard time finding proper pants for mountaineering. I was looking into the OR cirque pants because I like the features, but these (as many others) come with the smallest inseam being 31". I typically wear a 28-29". I'd consider alteration, but with the zips, articulated knees, and scuff guards on these and other pants designed for alpine use, I don't think that will work.

Does anyone know of a shorter style of pants or of a company that will do custom work without breaking the bank? It seems to me that there is no easy option.

Thanks!

no avatar
GuyNC

Re: Mountain pants for a short guy.

by GuyNC » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:45 pm

I am 5'6'' have had the same issue. I currently have the Mountain Hardwear Chockstone with 30" inseam and it is perfect. Great pant as well, and the integrated belt is handy. I tried the Cirque and found it was just too long.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/mens-chockstone-midweight-active-pant-OM5824.html?cgid=mens-pantsShorts-casual&dwvar_OM5824_variationColor=203#start=0

outdoorabstract

by outdoorabstract » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:22 am

Check out Lou at foxwear.net , I really like his stuff and it can be made to fit you perfectly regardless of your size, also very reasonably priced imo

cbeats

by cbeats » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:40 am

I'm 6' 3" and after trying on several pairs of pants specifically went with the Cirques because they seemed longer than others - so I'd stay away from those. Good luck finding something dude!

no avatar
Angus Brookes

by Angus Brookes » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:41 pm

Thanks for all of the input you guys!

I eventually found another brand, Montane, which produces a pant (Super Terra) similar to the Cirque or Chockstone in a plethora of sizes going all the way down to 28x27". The price point is decent and they appear to be of excellent quality as well as offer a few additional features. I will check them out and post the results.

http://www.campsaver.com/super-terra-pa ... s#tabshere
https://www.montane.co.uk/en/men/clothi ... ra-pants-2

no avatar
Angus Brookes

by Angus Brookes » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:39 am

Well, the pants arrived yesterday (only four business days with free shipping!).

I have not yet had a chance to take them out for a proper test, but my first impressions are that they are an excellent fit, comfortable, and of good quality.

I will post an update after running them more thoroughly through the wringer.

Return to Gear