Weather on iztaccihuatl

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Mexico Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
msabens

Weather on iztaccihuatl

by msabens » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:15 pm

Hello,

My friends and I will be hiking iztaccihuatl in the middle of march for spring break, and we were wondering what the temperature on top of the mountain is during this time, and furthermore what sort of hiking gear will be necessary?

Thanks in advance.

Woodie Hopper

Re: Weather on iztaccihuatl

by Woodie Hopper » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:26 am

As you probably know, it's a long, committing hike at moderately high altitude.

Expect temps around freezing or slightly below 24/7/365. There's always snow and ice near the summit. It's a long time between now and your hike, so you might need crampons and an axe for the higher ridgeline. Conditions a month or two before your climb will dictate what you absolutely need, but I wouldn't think about climbing this peak without bringing an axe and perhaps crampons (only without crampons if it's dry).

I've been up there twice. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Woodie

seano

Re: Weather on iztaccihuatl

by seano » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:20 pm

I was up there 2015-12-26, and the only mandatory snow was the little glacier saddle -- the summit area was three near-equal-height dirt points with a low-lying ice plain between them. I had crampons and an axe, which I did not use; microspikes would have been enough for the low-angle glacier. It may be different by March, but this season has seemingly been incredibly dry so far.

Return to Mexico, Central America and Caribbean