Sleeping Bag length

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Pallando

Sleeping Bag length

by Pallando » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:07 am

Hi all,

My wonderful wife got me a new down bag this Christmas (MH Phantom 0F). I absolutely love it. The only problem being this: I always purchase a Long sleeping bag, since I'm a hair under 6'3". She purchased a Regular. I assumed it would be too short and I would have to trade it up a size, as has been my experience with previous bags (Big Agnes and REI). When I slipped into this one, however, my toes barely touched the end, not compressing any down at all. It truly seems to fit exactly my height.

I'm not against trading it in for the long for cost reasons (I mean, $20 is nothing compared to what this bag costs). The main pro/cons are increased warmth efficiency (exact fit) and storage space (for boot liners, etc).

Anyone have any input on why I would opt for the longer bag? I usually put my boots in a plastic sack at the bottom of my bivy (which is longer than even a Long sleeping bag).

asmrz

Re: Sleeping Bag length

by asmrz » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:11 pm

If I remember correctly (It has been a few years since I bought a bag), the length of the bag is based on shoulder to feet measurement, not top of the head to the feet. So Long bag is, for example, 6 feet or so (depending on Manufacturer) from shoulders to feet. My wife is 5'6" and any Short Mountain Hardwear bag fits her just right. And all my Long Bags have ton of extra space for me (I'm 6'1"). It is indeed about thermal efficiency...
I'm sure there is someone on SP with better explanation.

Pallando

Re: Sleeping Bag length

by Pallando » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:54 pm

That might explain why I fit so well. I should also point out that the shoulder baffle fits perfectly over my shoulders. I've had regular bags in the past where the shoulder baffle fits around my armpits... not a good plan for keeping warm.

It sounds like I might be just the perfect height for this bag. Especially after a long day with a heavy pack...

Return to Gear