Central New York Winter climb

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
NWclimberguy

Central New York Winter climb

by NWclimberguy » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:21 am

I recently moved to Syracuse, NY. I'm originally from the PNW and climb with my brothers who are coming out for a winter climb. I'm still getting to know the area and looking for recommendations-we are used to glacier trips and alpine climbs, so we're hoping to fit in a 2 day trip: ice climb, snow shoe and winter camping. Any suggestions? I've heard good things about the Adirondacks, but so far I'm finding a lot of single day ice trips. I appreciate any guidance!

Bark Eater

Re: Central New York Winter climb

by Bark Eater » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:25 pm

You could snowshoe into Lake Colden, camp, and then climb the Trap Dike. They are finally getting some snow! See some of MudRat's trip reports for extreme slide climbing in the Adirondacks.

triyoda

Re: Central New York Winter climb

by triyoda » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:20 am

Best "alpine" routes in NY.

Trap Dyke, up to NEI2. This is easily done in a day.
Gothics North Face, only NEI1, but it is really exposed and there is a really long run out. I was glad to get off of this one, probably not in until March though.
The Cascade, up to NEI2, can continue the slide all the way to the summit.

There is also a slide route on Nippletop that can be good in winter but I have not done that one.

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)