Breathable light Down Jacket

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
mvaro2002

Breathable light Down Jacket

by mvaro2002 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:28 pm

Before winter I received an Uniqlo down jacket as a present which served me well for the majority of chillier days here in New York.
The only downside I see for myself is when I need to carry more heavy things and my body temperature rises or I change quickly to a warm environment this thing makes me sweat and starts feeling like a warm plastic bag. It becomes very uncomfortable.

Are there any light down jackets on the market where the polyester shell is more breathable?
I noticed Eddie Bauer has a down jacket where parts around the arm pits are made from breathable material, however I would prefer the whole thing to be more breathable.

Please advise,

thx

infinityjellyD

Re: Breathable light Down Jacket

by infinityjellyD » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:25 pm

It's not down but nevertheless I recommend the Arc'teryx Atom LT hoody. I've found this to be the most versatile jacket I own. Breathes well but also keeps me pretty warm.

Frankly, none of the down jackets I own---Rab, Montbell, Mountain Hardwear, Uniqlo---are very breathable. I only wear a down jacket when I'm standing still such as belaying on a pitch or watching my nephew's football game or something like that in the cold. If I do any activity in the cold, I wear a soft shell or some other non-down jacket.

Maybe some of the other forum members have different experiences and can recommend a breathable down, but of you're willing to look past down I'd say check out the Atom LT or any in the same style from other manufacturers (I think Rab makes one very similar, probably others do too).

kevin trieu

Re: Breathable light Down Jacket

by kevin trieu » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:43 pm

when you get too warm and uncomfortable, have you tried taking your down jacket off? there's no exact science behind this but have been observed in the fields to have immediate effects on the cooling down process.

The following user would like to thank kevin trieu for this post
seano

Return to Gear