Himlung during summer

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Asia. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Asia Climbing Partners section.
matteo_b

Himlung during summer

by matteo_b » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:17 pm

Hi guys, does anyone knows if anybody has been climbing himlung (and nearby peaks) during summer? I keep reading about how half of the Annapurna circuit falls in the rainshadows and weather is kind of good so it would be reasonable to think even that area falls into it, right? It is pretty much close to mustang, which is also a popular area in summer.

does people climb chulu east / west in summer?

Or it would be pretty bad anyway up in the mountains?

himlung is the green barely-visible name in the right corner. Annapurna is the big massif south.

thanks for any info!

Damien Gildea

Re: Himlung during summer

by Damien Gildea » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:56 am

No. The weather is NOT good then.

I attempted Amotsang, an unclimbed 6300m peak (west of Pokharkan, which is west of Himlung) in July-August 2009, and it rained nearly every day. I had believed the story of the 'rain shadow' but for this area I don't believe it's true. For Mustang and further north, maybe.

It wasn't heavy rain, just constant light rain and sometimes light snow. It was also almost always cloudy, so it was hard to see the routes and there was NO scenery on the Annapurna Circuit trek at all. Down low at the start of the trek the rain was incredibly heavy. But it was easy to get a flight out from Jomsom ;-)

matteo_b

by matteo_b » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:12 pm

Damien Gildea wrote:No. The weather is NOT good then.

I attempted Amotsang, an unclimbed 6300m peak (west of Pokharkan, which is west of Himlung) in July-August 2009, and it rained nearly every day. I had believed the story of the 'rain shadow' but for this area I don't believe it's true. For Mustang and further north, maybe.

It wasn't heavy rain, just constant light rain and sometimes light snow. It was also almost always cloudy, so it was hard to see the routes and there was NO scenery on the Annapurna Circuit trek at all. Down low at the start of the trek the rain was incredibly heavy. But it was easy to get a flight out from Jomsom ;-)

there's the hard truth... i was afraid that was the answer. But thank you a LOT for those details! At least i'll find something else without regret. Let's see what i can find somewhere else.. pheraphs ladakh or karakorum. Let's see!

thanks a lot again!

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:50 pm

I was in Ladakh last summer and can recommend it. It was an unusually wet July for Ladakh, but June was good. Maybe this year is back to normal. There are new roads going in to many places which makes it easy to climb peaks with minimal logistic hassle. It's easy to fly to Leh and begin acclimatising, including an ascent of Stok Kangri to start off. The permit fee is only $25 and can be organised independently in town. There are many other easy peaks there in the range 5600-6000m.

matteo_b

by matteo_b » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:12 pm

Damien Gildea wrote:I was in Ladakh last summer and can recommend it. It was an unusually wet July for Ladakh, but June was good. Maybe this year is back to normal. There are new roads going in to many places which makes it easy to climb peaks with minimal logistic hassle. It's easy to fly to Leh and begin acclimatising, including an ascent of Stok Kangri to start off. The permit fee is only $25 and can be organised independently in town. There are many other easy peaks there in the range 5600-6000m.

yes thank you. I've seen there are many misterious areas (mulkila range, arganglas, ecc) but i'm afraid of indian paperwork and cost. Let's see..

Return to Asia