Whitney in the winter

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Basham

Whitney in the winter

by Basham » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:29 pm

What climbing great is necessary for Mountaineer's Route in Winter?

McCannster

Re: Whitney in the winter

by McCannster » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:51 pm

-Some sort of floatation (snowshoes, skis, splitboard, etc)
-Crampons
-Axe
-Harness, slings, minimal rock rack and maybe a picket or two (if uncomfortable soloing steep snow/snowy class 3)
-4 season tent, if you are planning an overnight
-plenty of warm clothes
-Avy beacon, and knowledge of how to use it/judge Avy terrain

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:40 pm

What climbing great is necessary for Mountaineer's Route in Winter?

First of all, you need a lot more experience than you have now (though judging from your previous posts, I really wonder if you are serious about doing any of the climbs which you claim to be planning).

search.php?keywords=&terms=all&author=Basham&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

JHH60

by JHH60 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:43 pm

You can often find guided climb descriptions on the web which include suggested gear lists for popular climbs like Shasta, Whitney (summer and winter), Rainier, Denali West Buttress, etc. E.g., this one:

http://www.sierramountaincenter.com/whitney_winter.html

These lists are typically conservative and targeted at new climbers, but if you're asking the question that's probably appropriate.

Or you could just pay SMC to take you on the climb and give you some instruction. In my experience the SMC guides are high quality; e.g., when I took a water ice climbing class from them my instructor was Chris Simmons (he's now guiding in WA and has gotten excellent reviews from other SPers up there). There are other well reputed guiding companies that do this climb as well.

The following user would like to thank JHH60 for this post
Basham

Basham

by Basham » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:35 pm

I'm trying to find out everything I can about every mountain that catches my eye. I just got a new job so I finally started looking at this. I have problems reading. Those pages take me several hours each. I am not going to do this on my own and once my back heals I'm going to start going up a hill with mud as deep as six inches to get myself in shape and if I can't run a marathon I'm not going to try. Anyways, like I said, I am just starting to look at this after being interested in it for years. I'm asking about all these mountains for financial and safety purposes

Basham

by Basham » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:47 pm

@mccanter, thank you. I am new to this. I don't know any of the necessary equipment. I also have difficulty reading so the pages aren't of much help to me. After reading about all the classes, I am trying to find class II mountains. Class I won't be anything more than strenuous and that is not what I want. I have done artificial rock-walls for many years. I just haven't been able to do alpine mountaineering yet so I want to try that. I'm just trying to get summarized information about whatever catches my eye.

Basham

by Basham » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:11 pm

Any guide suggestions? I know that will be the safety way for me to go.

Basham

by Basham » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:33 am

Basham is my last name.

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:05 pm

Kurt Wedberg. Sierra Mountaineering International. Based in Bishop and the Sierra are his office.

no avatar
Yank-Tank

by Yank-Tank » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:17 pm

It is all good. Just take some warm clothes and warm boots and go. It is only a hike. Just make sure it hasn't snowed right before you go.

clmbr

by clmbr » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:38 pm

Not sure if most posts here are sarcastic or just a few of them. My conclusion, however, would be: Don’t know the gear? Don’t like (or have problem) to read? Just keep practicing “going up a hill with mud as deep as six inches.” (Basham) If you fall, it may only be unpleasant.

Or “...just look in the direction of the summit, and keep walking till you get there.” (jesu, joy of man's desiring) That’s what I usually do.

Why so many people want to climb MR anyway?

Return to California