Haute route unguided

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
catsh16

Haute route unguided

by catsh16 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:41 pm

scheming to go ski the Haute Route with my wife next week... Unguided (Verbier variation) .
Any thoughts?
background: we hiked it in October a few years ago... got into Zermatt just intime to miss the first major snowstorm of the year. We've also spent a few weeks skiing in these regions 2 years ago, and spend our normal winters tagging 10th Mt. huts across Colorado.

we're not bothered by dealing with some minor crevasse avoidance... but if it got to be extremely technical in the glacier navigation (ie. judging & crossing multitudes of partially bridged crevasses per day or hour ) then two thumbs down. But, my assumption is that we can rely on following the obvious mass of tracks along the route, and if it gets re-set with fresh snow, we can wait a day until new tracks get set. I'm also assuming we can bail out into Chambrey or Arolla if if things don't feel right

also, any recent trip reports out there, or conditions reports? Thanks for your thoughts!

Return to Europe