Eastern Sierra options week of 4/4

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
User Avatar
96avs01

 
Posts: 1555
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:31 pm
Thanked: 54 times in 44 posts

Re: Eastern Sierra options week of 4/4

by 96avs01 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:03 am

^^^ I'd greatly appreciate knowing where you hit snow and the extent of coverage. I've heard mixed reports about coverage and density above 10K. Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

TIA

User Avatar
Deb

 
Posts: 3147
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2002 1:57 pm
Thanked: 215 times in 133 posts

Re: Eastern Sierra options week of 4/4

by Deb » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:28 am

mtndonkey wrote:I think I am gonna head up Tuttle Creek on Monday and do the Northeast Couloir as an overnight. It doesn't sound like it is dumping too much snow and there looks to be a small break in the weather then.

*Edit - I didn't get my $h!t together in time so I am gonna head up Thurs/Fri and overnight around 10k ish.....anyone else heading up by any chance? Weather still looks not awesome, but not that terrible either.

Just a forewarning, it was a very wet snow that fell for nearly 3 days and wet slide activity is pretty high on slopes 30 degrees and steeper on all aspects. High winds are now on the way.....be safe.

User Avatar
mtndonkey

 
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:49 pm
Thanked: 10 times in 9 posts

Re: Eastern Sierra options week of 4/4

by mtndonkey » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:32 am

Thanks a lot for the info Deb, I greatly appreciate it. I'll check the Avalanche report this week and evaluate the slope and conditions heading up. My main objective is breaking in some new boots that I will be wearing in Bolivia in June and getting in a solid workout so summiting is not that big of a deal to me. Worst case I'll just get in a good workout and have a conditions report for everyone else...it is more important for me to get home to my little one than top out.

The following user would like to thank mtndonkey for this post
Deb

User Avatar
pmorash

 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2002 2:59 pm
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post

Re: Eastern Sierra options week of 4/4

by pmorash » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:03 am

kevin trieu wrote:
pmorash wrote:
96avs01 wrote:
mtndonkey wrote:Awesome, thanks for the update Dave. I might hit Onion Valley up and do some peaks out of there. I was thinking maybe Langley via Tuttle Creek but that sounds brutal to me right now.


If you go to Langley, I'd be very curious about the snowline. TIA


Me too!


Someone just did Langley via Tuttle Creek two weekends ago and report "Sierra cement" conditions. I just did Mt. Whitney last weekend and can confirm excellent consolidated spring conditions. Snow line around 9k'. Go get some!

And let me know if you guys want to dayhike Langley via Tuttle Creek. Didn't summit on the dayhike but made the summit as an overnighter years back.


Thanks Kevin! A few of us are heading in Fri am, camp up high and tackle the NE couloir Sat. Avy conditions pending I guess!

User Avatar
pmorash

 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2002 2:59 pm
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post

Re: Eastern Sierra options week of 4/4

by pmorash » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:04 am

pmorash wrote:
kevin trieu wrote:
pmorash wrote:
96avs01 wrote:
mtndonkey wrote:Awesome, thanks for the update Dave. I might hit Onion Valley up and do some peaks out of there. I was thinking maybe Langley via Tuttle Creek but that sounds brutal to me right now.


If you go to Langley, I'd be very curious about the snowline. TIA


Me too!


Someone just did Langley via Tuttle Creek two weekends ago and report "Sierra cement" conditions. I just did Mt. Whitney last weekend and can confirm excellent consolidated spring conditions. Snow line around 9k'. Go get some!

And let me know if you guys want to dayhike Langley via Tuttle Creek. Didn't summit on the dayhike but made the summit as an overnighter years back.


Thanks Kevin! A few of us are heading in Fri am, camp up high and tackle the NE couloir Sat. Avy conditions pending I guess!


That's Fri NEXT week for us!

Previous

Return to California

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests