Camera for backpacking?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
LincolnB

Camera for backpacking?

by LincolnB » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:26 am

Can anyone recommend a lightweight camera for backpacking? One that will take decent mountain pics but not break the bank - thanks.

Marmaduke

Re: Camera for backpacking?

by Marmaduke » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:42 am

http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-cyber-shot-hx9v/
Great point and shoot camera. Has many preset options along with manual setting as well. Takes 1080 HD video and is less than $250. Only negative is no viewfinder.

Tonka

by Tonka » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:48 am

I just went through a lengthy point and shoot buying process and I ended up getting the Sony RX100. I wish I'd take advantage of it's capabilities but the pics seem to come out very well on the two auto settings. Not the cheapest but I was sick of cheap cameras and the Zeiss lens is one of the best you'll find in a camera of this level.

LincolnB

by LincolnB » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:48 pm

How big is "the bank"?
- A few hundred dollars

Carrying this while technical climbing, or just hiking/backpacking?
- Hiking/backpacking, 5 days max

Want it to work in cold weather? (Some cameras have capability of an external battery pack with wires - put the battery pack inside your warm clothing to keep it warm.)
- Not for extreme cold

Want something really small? Or is SLR size OK?
- The smaller the better. If it fits comfortably in a pocket I'm more likely to keep it with me.

Thanks!

GlacierCountry

by GlacierCountry » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:55 pm

I just got the Sony a6000 and love it. The quality is good enough (24mp) to blow up images very large when you get that great shot you want on your wall. The size is not as small as a cybershot point and shoot, but it's not as big as DSLR. Removable lenses make it versatile for adding capabilities later if you want. You can check them out at Best Buy or similar. It's $500 but it would be useful for many years and not just as a compact for the mountains.
Mountains and Music

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:13 pm

LincolnB wrote:How big is "the bank"?
- A few hundred dollars

Carrying this while technical climbing, or just hiking/backpacking?
- Hiking/backpacking, 5 days max

Want it to work in cold weather? (Some cameras have capability of an external battery pack with wires - put the battery pack inside your warm clothing to keep it warm.)
- Not for extreme cold

Want something really small? Or is SLR size OK?
- The smaller the better. If it fits comfortably in a pocket I'm more likely to keep it with me.

Thanks!

This link has every spec on ALL aspects of the camera.
https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... aUQuC8IzgE
$250.
I'v experienced no problems with temps down to the upper teens.
Width- 4.1 in
Depth- 1.3 in
Height- 2.3 in
Weight- 7.6 oz

cbeats

by cbeats » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:09 pm

I'm not a photographer by any means but if you're definitely looking for a small, relatively cheap point-and-shoot I'd at least consider a waterproof "tough" model. My understanding (from reviews on sites like CNET) is that there is barely any image quality drop off between regular point and shoots and waterproof point and shoots these days.

I've had good experiences with the Panasonic Lumix TS-5. I've taken it on a lot of technical rock and ice climbs, really beaten the crap out of it, and it's still ticking. My thinking was that I wanted something under $300 that I wouldn't have to worry about babying, could take pictures on snowy hikes and climbs (it's waterproof), and would still take decent video and pictures. It's even got a decent panoramic feature.

There are probably newer and better models from Panasonic and other brands now.

asmrz

by asmrz » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:16 pm

I would call myself (old and getting older) technical climber and alpinist. My camera needs have always been 1. size 2. weight 3. Survival in frigid (way below freezing) conditions 4. carrying capacity. So for those who need camera for climbing, I would wholly recommend the Cannon G line. My wife (also a climber) and I each have Cannon G-15. Had it about 3 years now and carried them everywhere hiking, climbing, mountaineering and backcountry skiing. The cameras work in all these conditions. Nothing wrong with either one of them so far. We use both of them for work as well. They get heavy use. Had Olympus and Nikon before, the Olympus line was fine but I had nothing but problems with Nikon and their service totally sucked.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:45 pm

cbeats wrote:I've had good experiences with the Panasonic Lumix TS-5. I've taken it on a lot of technical rock and ice climbs, really beaten the crap out of it, and it's still ticking. My thinking was that I wanted something under $300 that I wouldn't have to worry about babying, could take pictures on snowy hikes and climbs (it's waterproof), and would still take decent video and pictures. It's even got a decent panoramic feature.

There are probably newer and better models from Panasonic and other brands now.

Count me as another vote for Panasonic Lumix. I bought one because a partner had one and the image quality was superb and it was a nice size; easy to carry in a pocket yet nicely shaped to hold, not so small as to be fiddly for my clumsy hands. They use Leica lenses, which are as good as any other out there. My model has a 10x 'optical' zoom, which is supposed to be better than the other kind of zoom.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:04 pm

I have no idea how 'climber proof' this would be, and at the price I would be more than a little nervous taking it climbing, but damn is it sexy: http://www.gadgetcircuit.com/leica-x-e- ... al-camera/

seano

by seano » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:55 am

ExcitableBoy wrote:Count me as another vote for Panasonic Lumix.

Same. I now use a bulkier, fancier Sony, but was extremely satisfied with a Lumix before that. The ruggedized one mentioned up-thread looks like a good bet.

My model has a 10x 'optical' zoom, which is supposed to be better than the other kind of zoom.

The other kind, i.e. "digital," means that the camera crops and blows up the image So it just throws away the outside, then generates a fuzzy blow-up of the center.

matteo_b

by matteo_b » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:06 pm

sony a5100 with the 16-50 lens in the kit. It's totally invisible, extremely lightweight. The photos are amazing. I work as a photographer but most of the time i don't even carry my dslr.

i have a website of mountain photography ( www.matteobedendo.it ) and i can promise you, 80% of the photos you see in the main page are taken with that (5100+16-50). The other were taken with the dslr but only because at the time i didn't own the sony.

I carry it with me even when i rock climb

The following user would like to thank matteo_b for this post
Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:34 am

ExcitableBoy wrote:Count me as another vote for Panasonic Lumix.

I've been using Panasonic for 9 years and have been decently satisfied with them (especially after 2011). I'm pretty happy with my Panasonic GF3 (great sharpness, but is lacking sunset saturation), however I feel that it's time to make an upgrade. Been thinking on getting the Sony A6000 like others have stated, however Matteo brought up a model that seems to be even better suited to my light weight obsession (the A5100 is 2.4oz's lighter and is said to actually have better video quality). I have never owned an SLR, and now I may never have to due to the tiny toys (micro 4/3 cameras) coming through. 8)

In the following link, the one on the left is the one I want, the center one is the one everyone talks about, and the one on the right is the one I'm currently using: http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/ ... 67_942_763
And yes I take this backpacking. While I'm crazy about staying light weight, I'll carry the heavy lens even if my pack is 50 pounds for an expedition. :D

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:02 am

I carry a Nikon COOLPIX with me everywhere I go, including to bed because we live in a very tough neighborhood.
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Next

Return to General