Mulhacen in summer

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
UKClimbingNurse

Mulhacen in summer

by UKClimbingNurse » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:41 pm

Hi all. Myself and my hiking/climbing buddy are looking to do our first Euro trip climb next August and we've settled on Mulhacen in the Spanish Sierra Nevada. There seems to be limited info on the internet regarding climbing reports and details of the different ascent routes and what gear/experience may be needed. Anyone on here climbed and have any advice?

Cheers folks :)

rgg
Forum Moderator

Re: Mulhacen in summer

by rgg » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:03 pm

Haven't climbed it myself, but I've thought about it and may go there some day. It certainly helps that there are cheap flights to Malaga.

I had a look at the Mulhacén page. The information provided looks good enough to get started when organizing your own a trip. Among other things, it says you can hike up the mountain, which implies usual hiking gear is the minimum that you need. Route descriptions would be nice to have, but assuming that you can read a map, I reckon any decent topographic map of the area will be good enough.

Still, it's a big mountain. That means I would pack a little bit more than for a walk in, say, the Lake District. Even when planning on using the refuges, I would pack a fleece or a light down jacket to keep me warm if I somehow end up outside during the night; perhaps even a bivvy bag. An alternative would be to pack for a proper multi day trip and bring camping gear. That way a sudden onset of bad weather won't be a problem.

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Wed May 04, 2016 5:56 pm

UKClimbingNurse wrote:Hi all. Myself and my hiking/climbing buddy are looking to do our first Euro trip climb next August and we've settled on Mulhacen in the Spanish Sierra Nevada. There seems to be limited info on the internet regarding climbing reports and details of the different ascent routes and what gear/experience may be needed. Anyone on here climbed and have any advice?

Cheers folks :)

August doesn't seem to be the best month for attempting Mulhacen. Try to avoid July and August, it's too warm even at those high altitudes...

no avatar
poppy10

by poppy10 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:47 pm

We remember going to Granada which has some incredible summits, and yes we went in Summer! Wow, how hot can it get. I totally agree...It is not enjoyable in the summer months, It would be best to reschedule that trip. It would be silly to spoil what would be an unmissable experience there. Plan well.

Return to Europe