Practice for the Presidential Traverse

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
tk421991

Practice for the Presidential Traverse

by tk421991 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:30 pm

Hello! First post.

I'm looking to do the Presidential Traverse this August, some time around the 8th. The person I'm going with and I have never done such a long hike. We did Mt. Washington last year and we're knocking off some 4000 footers in NH and VT though. I was thinking of going along Vermont's Long Trail from north of Camel's Hump down to Lincoln Gap as a sort of practice run. Has anyone ever done either of the two routes?

nartreb

Re: Practice for the Presidential Traverse

by nartreb » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:14 pm

I've done the (NH) Presi a few times, and I've been on Camel's Hump but not done your proposed Long Trail route.

I think it's fine as a warm-up/shake-down/proof-of-concept. I didn't add up all the little bumps, but it looks like your LT route has somewhere around 6000 feet of elevation gain, which is significantly less than the Presi Traverse. But you've got a big 4000' push at the beginning (I'm assuming north-south direction for both hikes), just like climbing Madison, and then a thousand-foot push up Ellen late in the day, which may actually feel harder than doing Washington which comes relatively early in the Presi. So it's a similar profile, similar distance, just less punishing. Sounds like exactly what you're looking for.

The following user would like to thank nartreb for this post
tk421991

technicolorNH

by technicolorNH » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:24 am

What nartreb said. It has slightly less distance and less vertical gain but a hard ascent towards the end at Ellen that you would not get at the same point on the Presidential Traverse. It does sound perfect for your needs. One thing to bear in mind on the Presidential Traverse is that you have some options regarding summits on the way. A full traverse means all the summits but the trails in the area are numerous so if you start getting exhausted enough to want to avoid summits you can almost always pass around them without deviating from your overall route south. The trails also get noticeably better once you get south of Mount Washington.

The following user would like to thank technicolorNH for this post
tk421991

no avatar
tk421991

by tk421991 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:20 am

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I don't think any route in New England can simulate the Pres Traverse. I think I'll go ahead with my planned route though since one of my goals this summer is to do the five Vermont 4000 footers. I did Killington Peak on Memorial Day and I'm doing Mt. Mansfield on Saturday. So this would take care of the other three and would let me see some other mountains I want to do like General Stark Mountain.

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)