Special forces rescued off Longs Peak

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
Marmaduke

Special forces rescued off Longs Peak

by Marmaduke » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:39 pm

During a training. not much info here. Anyone know more about this? Doesn't seem to paint a very good picture of these guys. http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-arm ... ailsignout

no avatar
hikermor

Re: Special forces rescued off Longs Peak

by hikermor » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:15 am

In 1960 I was stationed at Fort Carson and my companion and I did the East Face, standard route, - from Ft. Carson and back in two days. I was just a clerk holding down a desk - nothing special there.

technicolorNH

by technicolorNH » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:07 am

Altitude sickness is very equal opportunity. On my only hike of Grays and Torrey in Colorado I ran into a young couple (college age) in the parking lot who were resting after the descent from Grays. They planned on doing both but the boyfriend developed a headache on Grays, so his girlfriend recommended they descend. She was from Colorado, not terribly fit, but had experience in the mountains while her boyfriend was a marathoner from North Dakota who looked like he could grind almost anyone there that day into the dirt. This guy was seriously FIT. Yet he was the one who was dizzy and ended up puking like a puppy before his girlfriend drove them back down to I-70. It's not like they test Special Forces trainees early on to see if they are affected by altitude. They do test to see if the trainees are claustrophobic or have an intense fear of heights but that's mental and not physical. Some things they find out later on.

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:18 pm

This is why I laugh when noobs ask how good of shape they need to be in to avoid AMS. Lol.....if special ops isn't in good enough shape, then you won't be either! It can hit anyone, anytime, anywhere.

The following user would like to thank WyomingSummits for this post
Basham, Bob Sihler, Hisham

Bill Reed

by Bill Reed » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:10 pm

Is kind of a strange story. Seems that they set the terms for the rescue-"Pick us up at the top, after we're done summiting"!

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:32 pm

There isn't much info, two of how many got HAPE? And it does sound a bit like, "we made the summit, let's can the descent and call for a helo....."

The following user would like to thank Marmaduke for this post
Bob Sihler

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:25 am

Puma concolor wrote:
Marmaduke wrote:There isn't much info, two of how many got HAPE? And it does sound a bit like, "we made the summit, let's can the descent and call for a helo....."

LOL.

How did AMS turn into HAPE?

Oh yeah, this is the internet. :lol:

Marmaduke wrote:Doesn't seem to paint a very good picture of these guys.

What doesn't paint a good picture? The fact that they're human and are subject to the same kinds of altitude issues as everyone else with 46 chromosomes? :roll:

Go back you whatever rock yoyu crawlwd out from douche bag. The article states attitude sickness but wasn't specific so sorry for my not. Two out of how many were up there and all were rescued? I left Off Route because of yours and others like you responding like this. Go back to your hole, there was another post here that second guessed what happen, you fail to mention that. You are real prick

The following user would like to thank Marmaduke for this post
Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:40 am

Hey, you guys are ruining the site.

Thanks.fun
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

The following user would like to thank Bob Sihler for this post
awilsondc

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:56 am

WyomingSummits wrote:This is why I laugh when noobs ask how good of shape they need to be in to avoid AMS. Lol.....if special ops isn't in good enough shape, then you won't be either! It can hit anyone, anytime, anywhere.

This.

I once flew from sea level to Denver and then drove up a 14er that same day. Mild altitude issues most likely due to the rapid climb on the drive.

Another time, in the Sierra Nevada, and after a few days at altitude already, I got slammed by the altitude around 9000'. I made it up and over the pass and on with the backpacking trip, but not after a long rest that involved dozing, snacking, and drinking a lot of water.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Next

Return to News