Current Conditions Blanca, Crestone, and Sangres

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
jdzaharia

Current Conditions Blanca, Crestone, and Sangres

by jdzaharia » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:49 am

I am wondering what the conditions are like in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, and especially the 14ers. Still pretty snowy? Doable in hiking shoes? 2WD parking accessible? 4WD trailheads accessible?

Thanks.

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Current Conditions Blanca, Crestone, and Sangres

by Scott » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:52 am

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
jdzaharia

jdzaharia

by jdzaharia » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:09 am

Thanks Scott. I saw that post right after I posted here. Shoulda looked there first. I'll probably post back here at the end of the month, or in July sometime, regarding the 14ers.

Anybody have suggestions for (lower) peaks to avoid the need for ice ax, snowshoes, etc?

chicagotransplant

by chicagotransplant » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:20 pm

I just drove through the San Luis Valley to go to NM for work, most of the range is looking pretty dry from the west. The snowiest looking peaks were Blanca, Adams and the false summit west of Culebra.

In particular, the northern part of the range, Hunts, Bushnell area was looking dry with just some lingering patches. The areas around Cottonwood and Electric looked pretty much dry as well. I would think you would find some success without needing snow gear in those areas based on what I saw from the road, but I am not sure what may be buried in the trees.

The following user would like to thank chicagotransplant for this post
jdzaharia

Return to Colorado