Temple Craig conditions?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
shamilr

Temple Craig conditions?

by shamilr » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:00 pm

Was thinking of climbing it on July 4th weekend, but was wondering what are conditions at the moment? Judging by other peaks (bear creek spire), seems like there is still tons of snow?

Romain

Re: Temple Craig conditions?

by Romain » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:50 pm

Here's a picture taken on June 18th from the NF trail. Not that bad, and the snow that is there is now melting fast due to high temps.

https://goo.gl/photos/i9BzEm8i4hZuo3Jr5

Romain

Deb

by Deb » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:59 am

shamilr wrote:Was thinking of climbing it on July 4th weekend, but was wondering what are conditions at the moment? Judging by other peaks (bear creek spire), seems like there is still tons of snow?

Climbed Temple Crag via Contact Crack on Saturday, 18 Jun. Crampons were quite useful in the morning up Contact Pass, unnecessary on the descent. What route are you climbing? We watched 2 dudes boot pack to Venusian w/o crampons that morning and met them near the summit (they were very bad ass!). BTW, the mosquitos are totally out and starving! So you have 2 weeks to melt more snow and make more mosquitos. :D

no avatar
shamilr

by shamilr » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:42 pm

Oh great news , thank you guys!

We trying to decide between Moon Goddess Arete and Venusian Blind. Done any of them before?

Romain

by Romain » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:25 pm

I've done Venusian. I think they are about the same in terms of average difficulty, although the hardest move on Moon Goddess is tougher than the hardest move on Venusian Blind. Some people also say Moon Goddess has more loose rock. The lower half of Venusian Blind was quite solid and lots of fun, the top part (class 4) was looser.

Deb

by Deb » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:24 am

shamilr wrote:Oh great news , thank you guys!

We trying to decide between Moon Goddess Arete and Venusian Blind. Done any of them before?

Moon Goddess. I hated it, too many gendarmes to down climb.

Return to California