Prepping for winter ascent of Mt Washington: warm enough?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
Tools_Incoming

Prepping for winter ascent of Mt Washington: warm enough?

by Tools_Incoming » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:55 am

Heading to Mt. Washington next week for a one-day ascent via Lions Head winter trail.

I've got a bit of experience, but they were summer alpine climbs in the Cascades (Adams and Shuksan) and Spring out east (Katahdin and Washington). This is my first winter climbing attempt.

Projected high is -2 or so, plus whatever god awful windchill awaits us (so, potentially -20 or so). I'm taking my kit and gear from Adams/Shuksan and adding more for warmth. Here are my current sticking points:

PANTS: bottom is set for base layer (Patagonia capilene) + Kuhl (thin) hiking/climbing pants softshell+ Mammut full zip outer shell. This is exactly what I used on Adams and Shuksan too. I'm thinking this won't keep me warm enough. I am considering replacing the thin soft-shell with these:

http://www.rei.com/product/851635/mammu ... pants-mens

Thoughts?

BOOTS: current lineup is liner, think hiking or mountaineering sock, and my Scarpa Mont Blanc GTX boots. What does everyone think about these vs plastic boots?

Appreciate any thoughts/advice!

Bark Eater

Re: Prepping for winter ascent of Mt Washington: warm enough

by Bark Eater » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:08 pm

Face protection will likely be a must above tree-line unless you are fortunate enough to get an unusually balmy day. Make sure you can find your way back down should you encounter a sudden whiteout.

nartreb

by nartreb » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:56 pm

I'm not familiar with the pants you've got, but if you're leaning toward extra warmth, you're probably right. In below-zero temps, I usually wear a full fleece layer on my legs (under a full-zip shell). Just be prepared to vent aggressively or slow your pace as your legs may get warm on the way up.

I see no reason to use plastic boots. Wear boots that are comfortable. Consider a vapor barrier to keep your socks dry.

Don't panic about wind chill, it's calculated based on an assumption that your bare skin is exposed. As long as you're TOTALLY covered up the wind won't bother you all that much as far as temperature. (Still a major problem in terms of visibility and just standing up.) The trick is to get all your gear dialed before you hit treeline, and dont' get caught in situations where you have to remove your gloves or your hat even for a few seconds. (Think about how you package your snacks, for example.)

adventurer

by adventurer » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:20 pm

+1 on the comments made by nartreb and the face mask suggested by Bark Eater. In addition, don't forget a pair of glacier glasses or snow goggles. If you have a bright sunny day, your eyes will suffer from the glare off the snow/ice without glasses.

It's a great winter climb. Have fun, good luck and stay safe.
"When you travel, if you avoid the people, reject the food, ignore the customs, and fear the religion..... you might as well stay home"
James A. Michener

swhitty88

by swhitty88 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:08 am

I know this is a late reply, but for others who may be reading this now, I have put together a trip report and gear guide of my winter ascent up Mount Washington. Hope it helps!

Trip report: http://www.greenadrenaline.com/blog/mount-washington-winter-ascent
Gear Guide: http://www.greenadrenaline.com/blog/washington-winter-gear-guide

ADK_46

by ADK_46 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:21 pm

I'd Love to hear about this trip. Please post after the fact to provide details.
I won't be far from you! The 31st I will be doing the Mahoosuc Traverse for an SPCA Program called Peaks for Pets.

One of the hikes we have planed to raise money for the cause is the Presidential Traverse both Summer and Winter!

Thanks!

deungsan

by deungsan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:15 pm

Can't emphasize enough the advice to carry a face mask.

First time I tried Mt. Washington in the winter, had to turn around just above treeline because the winds (guy est. at 50+ mph, strong enough to knock us down at times) gave me frostbite on the face.

Second time on Washington, you can bet I carried a face mask. Didn't need it, but it's only half an ounce or so.

no avatar
mjacobsen

by mjacobsen » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:50 pm

So I just did it via Lions Head last week, and it was 20 and sunny all day. Fantastic climb. But I had my balaclava, ski goggles, and parka just in case. Should never go up without all the gear, else that be the reason you have to turn around. The weather can change way faster than you can get off of the mountain.

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)