Pro for Owen Spalding

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
WyomingSummits

Pro for Owen Spalding

by WyomingSummits » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:53 pm

I'm doing Owen Spalding car to car in a day in August. I'm assuming a standard rack of stoppers and tri cams is more than enough. Is this correct? I'm thinking about the last few 5.3-5.4's I led and don't remember using much big stuff unless it was a specific crack climb. Or should I take 3-4 camalots in the 1-3 range?

ExcitableBoy

Re: Pro for Owen Spalding

by ExcitableBoy » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:17 pm

I did the OS years ago in August and my memory is hazy, but I recall climbing a steep, wide verglassed crack that would have taken big pieces. I have the feeling we climbed one of the variations like the Wittich Crack, which was significantly harder than the rest of the climbing.

I always bring the four largest BD Hexes for easy climbs in addition to a rack of Stoppers and three smaller Tricams. They are plenty light and fit from 0.5 to 3.0 Camalot sizes.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
WyomingSummits

b.

by b. » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:10 pm

You'll only need it if it's icy, but a #4 doesn't hurt in the first chimney after the saddle. The only reason you'll need a rope in the upper chimney is people descending.

The following user would like to thank b. for this post
WyomingSummits

b.

by b. » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:10 pm

You'll only need it if it's icy, but a #4 doesn't hurt in the first chimney after the saddle. The only reason you'll need a rope in the upper chimney is people descending.

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)