Questions about insuring your gear

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
absinthe52

Questions about insuring your gear

by absinthe52 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:35 pm

I'm headed out to the Cascades in a week or so and was wondering how all you gear junkies prevent/insure your gear from being stolen when you are traveling by air specifically. I have a feeling it'd be tough for a baggage handler to rip out my axe and crampons without being too obvious, but with so much $$ invested, I'd thought I'd ask if any of you have good ideas.
Thanks

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:58 pm

First off, welcome to the Cascades! I hope the weather improves for your trip. What will you be climbing? Rainier?

I believe the vast majority of airline and TSA employees are honest, hard working folks. The very small minority of people who might be inclined to steal something are likely looking for easy to sell items like jewerly, electronics, cameras, etc and are targeting luggage that looks like it might contain said items. (This is just my personal hypothesis).

When I fly to climb I pack all my gear in two large, non descript duffel bags. Even better are the Army/Navy surplus olive drab, canvas duffels. Nothing says 'there isn't anything worth stealing' like a beat up, dirty, old canvas bag. Bright colored, fancy duffels with big, recognizeable logos may attract unwanted attention. (The North Face I am talking to you!)

You can buy small padlocks that will lock the zipper pulls together (one of my duffels has specal zipper pulls made specifically for this) but TSA will, without a doubt, want to physically search your bag after viewing some really strange looking items in the x-ray machine. They will call you out and have you open the bag so they can search it. It is easier and less hassle to just leave it unlocked.

At some point you just need to trust in the inherent benevolence of the folks whose job it handle your bags.

Have a safe flight and enjoyable time!

EB

gobriango

Re: Questions about insuring your gear

by gobriango » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:59 pm

absinthe52 wrote:I'm headed out to the Cascades in a week or so and was wondering how all you gear junkies prevent/insure your gear from being stolen when you are traveling by air specifically. I have a feeling it'd be tough for a baggage handler to rip out my axe and crampons without being too obvious, but with so much $$ invested, I'd thought I'd ask if any of you have good ideas.
Thanks

I dont know about insuring your gear but I usually just wrap my entire pack in either shrink wrap (Home Depot - free) or the airlines usually have giant plastic bags that go over your whole pack to keep anyone out. Yeah someone can still steal your stuff but it is a deterrent.

welle

by welle » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:08 pm

The most valuable pieces of gear are, IMO, your boots, your pack and your technical clothing. Everything else, you can replace by renting or buying. If you're so worried (my main concern is luggage getting lost not stolen), just wear your boots and technical clothing on the plane with your pack as a carry on piece. That also saves extra weight - be prepared to be delayed in the security check though - they will inspect your boots meticulously. I have brought my rock rack on board as well, because my check-in luggage was getting overweight.

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:12 pm

If you bring a $20 starter pistol or airgun you can use a nice beefy lock and not give TSA the key:

http://volokh.com/2010/01/15/another-wa ... -property/

I plan on doing this when I fly out to Rainier.

absinthe52

by absinthe52 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:18 pm

thanks for all the replies...ExcitibleBoy, I've talked to you in the past. We are flying out on the 28th and hoping to summit Shasta (with the 11,000 bivy) then up to Smith Rocks and finally Hood. Saw that the weather is looking sketchy, any word from you guys out there on the next few weeks?

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:46 pm

absinthe52 wrote:We are flying out on the 28th and hoping to summit Shasta (with the 11,000 bivy) then up to Smith Rocks and finally Hood. Saw that the weather is looking sketchy, any word from you guys out there on the next few weeks?

The weather is typical Cascades unsettled weather patterns, just wetter and colder than usual due to El Nino. You will likely have a mixed bag; some sun, some clouds, some rain. The pattern does not appear likely to change much over the next couple of weeks.

The good news is Shasta is farther south and on the east side of the crest so it may get better weather than up here in Washington. Smith Rock is in the desert and will likely have fine weather. Mt Hood will be more iffy. Watch the weather forecast and jump on Hood when the window presents itself and climb at Smith when the weather is poorer.

Best of luck!

EB

absinthe52

by absinthe52 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:47 pm

soronely, nice to see you've made it back my friend!

Sierra Ledge Rat

by Sierra Ledge Rat » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:38 am

Replacement cost homeowner's or renter's policy is the way to go.

You get reimbursed for the cost of replacing the gear, not for the depreciated garage sale worth.

Irreplacable gear, or gear that would difficult to replace (like your favorite boots) should go with you on the plane.

Return to Gear