Reds Meadow Parking

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
SpazzyMcgee

Reds Meadow Parking

by SpazzyMcgee » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:06 am

I haven't been to Reds Meadow in quite some time. I would like to start a dayhike on the JMT south at around 5AM, long before the shuttles. Is there anywhere I can make this happen? I was wondering if the TH information on this site is still accurate? It says you can park "near the ranger cabin." Anyone know? Thanks.

SJD

Re: Reds Meadow Parking

by SJD » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:40 pm

Well last time I was at Reds, last year or so, I just parked near the store and went on a short day hike without really thinking much about it. Just noticed this info though:

Overnight Parking: During the shuttle bus operating season, visitors who are exceptions to the shuttle bus and are backpacking may use the overnight hiker parking just outside the monument boundary. There is a 1/4 mile walk from there to the trailhead along a trail. Shuttle bus users should leave their vehicle at the shuttle bus parking area at Mammoth Mountain. There is no charge to park your vehicle overnight. Please do not leave any food or scented items in your vehicle when leaving it overnight. Lockers are available at Mammoth Mountain Main Lodge. After shuttle bus operation, backpackers may drive into the monument. There is no overnight parking in the Reds Meadow Valley or Devils Postpile after October 15.

Source:https://www.nps.gov/depo/planyourvisit/hours.htm

Return to California