[Video] Remote Controlled Drones over Trango Towers

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
sm176811

[Video] Remote Controlled Drones over Trango Towers

by sm176811 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:01 pm

This is amazing, someone sent a radio controlled drone with real time video feed to the top of Trango Towers in Pakistan - http://www.theatlantic.com/video/index/263033/

Remote controlled with FPV (first oerson view) for the pilot. Plus, Great HD video for 3rd person view of the climb.

Besides photography, the drones can easily be used for rescues reconnaissance over a broad area very quickly without endangering other climbers. Actually, these drones in conjunction with avalanche beacons can be used to quickly pinpoint climbers and send rescue missions directly to the victims.

Love technology!
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Greg Enright

Re: [Video] Remote Controlled Drones over Trango Towers

by Greg Enright » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:22 pm

Not looking forward to seeing drones flying all around the mountains. Using them for search and rescue is a great idea, but that is where I draw the line.

MoapaPk

Re: [Video] Remote Controlled Drones over Trango Towers

by MoapaPk » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:00 pm

I know of a fellow who uses a relatively large, commercially-available remote-controlled plane, equipped with a light video camera and GPS, to take dramatic photos of the canyons of Red Rock, near Vegas. I believe he launches from outside the wilderness area. Some friends were trying to help him locate one of the crashed planes; til that time, I had never heard of his activities, nor heard the buzzing. RRCNCA is unusual, in that the deep canyons are so close to the wilderness boundary.

This has some footage flying over what is clearly within the wilderness boundaries.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQCg57c6KGw[/youtube] (most of the video is not in the bounds).

There are more.

Return to News