Report Bugs Here

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Report Bugs Here

by Scott » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:31 pm

One small thing:

I know how to do underline in the ancient editor (one reason I use that one a lot), but I don't know how to do it in the New Editor. Is there a way?

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:42 pm

Scott wrote:Here's a small bug:

When you add a link and try to add text after the link, the New Editor seems to want to make all the text after the link as part of a link unless there is a paragraph break.

I have noticed that. It is kind of a pain, but if you type out all of your text first and then highlight the text you want to turn into a link AFTER all of the text is typed in, that works best. I'll see if there is a way to prevent the link from grabbing all text after it is inserted.

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:43 pm

Scott wrote:One small thing:

I know how to do underline in the ancient editor (one reason I use that one a lot), but I don't know how to do it in the New Editor. Is there a way?

It is in the "Format" drop-down menu. It Could easily be added to the top bar if it is something that is used often.
Screenshot 2019-01-09 09.42.41.png
Screenshot 2019-01-09 09.42.41.png (485.92 KiB) Viewed 10548 times

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:03 pm

Matt Miller wrote:I have noticed that. It is kind of a pain, but if you type out all of your text first and then highlight the text you want to turn into a link AFTER all of the text is typed in, that works best. I'll see if there is a way to prevent the link from grabbing all text after it is inserted.

Yes, that is what I have been doing to get around the glitch.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:07 pm

Matt Miller wrote:
Scott wrote:One small thing:

It is in the "Format" drop-down menu. It Could easily be added to the top bar if it is something that is used often.
Screenshot 2019-01-09 09.42.41.png

OK; thanks. I use the underline often, so it would be nice. Other people used to use underline, but not many anymore since it has only been in the top bar in the ancient editor. I will do it that way the way you show if it isn't in the top bar.

One more suggestion, but not a bug:

The picture at the top of pages is good, but can it be made a little smaller? It also only has a view of the center of the photo and cuts off the rest. If you have a picture of a climber or something, it's a little weird since her or his head is cut off, for example.

This is just a very minor issue and suggestion though and not a big deal.

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
Matt Miller

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:40 pm

Scott wrote:The picture at the top of pages is good, but can it be made a little smaller? It also only has a view of the center of the photo and cuts off the rest. If you have a picture of a climber or something, it's a little weird since her or his head is cut off, for example.

This is just a very minor issue and suggestion though and not a big deal.

Right. I'm not thrilled with how that cover photo shows on all pages either, but it is impossible to make such a thing look good for all photos and for all screen sizes.

More on that subject here:
report-bugs-here-t55411-990.html#p1034592

I'll keep thinking of ways to improve it, but I think that the page owners are going to have to take some of the responsibility to choose a cover image that looks relatively good at all screen sizes.

Klenke

by Klenke » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:14 pm

Matt, I just remembered my last post about the header image on a mountain page and your reply.

I don't know of other websites. I just know that various Window scales I try (wide rectangle vs. square vs. tall rectangle) all seem to crop the top of the image, hence usually the top of the subject mountain, which obviously takes away the allure of the image when visiting a page. My laptop monitor is wide and not tall, which I suspect is more a standard laptop style, therefore the mountain top cropping would be more common for the general user than uncommon.

Maybe the image just needs to be "pegged" from the top of the header downward so that what gets cropped is the bottom of the image, which is usually not the important part of a "mountain" image. It's usually just foreground stuff not germane to the subject of the image.'

Regarding your comment about this being more of a problem for older pages than new, I see some of new pages still have the issue, such as Dow's recent Lave Dome page

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:25 pm

Klenke wrote:Maybe the image just needs to be "pegged" from the top of the header downward so that what gets cropped is the bottom of the image, which is usually not the important part of a "mountain" image. It's usually just foreground stuff not germane to the subject of the image.'

I thought long and hard about your previous comments in that post and arrived at the same conclusion about fixing the top of the image at the top of the cover and then letting it get cropped at the bottom. It makes more sense for a mountain site to favor the top of the image in most cases was my assumption (like yours). Though I don't know if that's always the case. Some images that rely on lake reflections to have their full impact would suffer with this layout.

I have yet to try it and see how it looks as I've been working on many other things (primarily fixing the new editor) and the fact that most of the cover images on pages look pretty good already.

I will find some time to play around with it soon.

Klenke

by Klenke » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:54 pm

You could allow the page owner to decide how to peg his/her primary image based on the image they want to use. Give them some control.

Peg locations:
> Top left -- such that cropping begins from bottom right corner and vectors up and left as the page is squeezed
> Top Center -- crops upward from the bottom edge of image
> Top Right
> Left Center -- crops leftward as page is squeezed
> Bottom Left
> Bottom Center -- good for images with important stuff at the bottom but top of image will be cropped
> Bottom Right
> Right Center
> Center of Image Space -- crops inward from all edges as page is squeezed.

The following user would like to thank Klenke for this post
chugach mtn boy, Matt Miller

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:36 pm

That would be great! I had thought about allowing something like that. Obviously it would take a bit of programming, but would be super cool!!

I'll add it to the "wish list" of tasks we have lined up.

Woodswalker

Re: SP truly is dead...

by Woodswalker » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:53 am

I see the front page has been radically changed again. Was this discussed? Lame.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:14 am

I was just working on a page and close to done when I went to add something to a caption in the new editor. This opened the picture instead, and when I clicked back, everything I had written was gone. Everything. I was looking at an empty editing page.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought this just got fixed.

Anyway, I'm done for the night. Some of what I wrote I had spontaneously drafted and thus do not have saved, and I'm too ticked right now to redo it all.

Ugh.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:26 am

Bob Sihler wrote:I was just working on a page and close to done when I went to add something to a caption in the new editor. This opened the picture instead, and when I clicked back, everything I had written was gone. Everything. I was looking at an empty editing page.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought this just got fixed.

Anyway, I'm done for the night. Some of what I wrote I had spontaneously drafted and thus do not have saved, and I'm too ticked right now to redo it all.

Ugh.

Oh no! That sucks so horribly!!! Dammit! I can't believe that happened.

We are working right now on fixing the image/caption behavior in the editor. Actually we've been working on it for the last 3 days and are close to having most of the odd behavior fixed but it is quite messed up right now in the current editor.

Also, everyone using the new editor should know this very important thing that has applied in every situation I've tried when using it:

If anything goes wrong when using the new editor, try Ctrl+z (undo) and it usually (always?) takes away the last step.

If there are multiple steps that were problematic, keeping pressing Ctrl+z and it should revert you back to where the problem happened.

Another option is to look under the "View" -> "Source Code" menu option and see if the HTML might still be there even though nothing is displaying.

Regardless of these two options, we should have a better editor with lots of fixes regarding image manipulation and image caption functionality released tomorrow.

Matt Miller
Site Admin

by Matt Miller » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:19 pm

Lots of fixes to how images and captions behave both in the editor and on the live site were released yesterday. There are still a few more cases to fix, but now most of the functionality of working with resizing, captioning, and aligning images behaves as expected. There are cases with floating an image left or right and then putting a center-aligned image near the left or right aligned image will make them stack up on top of each other. We intend to fix that on Monday.

Scott -- your "Underline" and "Insert New Section" buttons have been added to the toolbar in the editor as well.

The following user would like to thank Matt Miller for this post
Scott

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:07 am

I haven't had a chance to test the editor lately, but I did notice that that clicking on list view in What's New has this error:

Smarty error: [in search_results/search_results_responsive.tpl line 93]: syntax error: unrecognized tag: postscribe('#right-ads', '

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback