Ritter area scramble routes

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Alpine72

Ritter area scramble routes

by Alpine72 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:48 am

Coming down from Vancouver in about a week after stopping at Crater lake and Shasta. What to expect for conditions on standard routes up Ritter and Clyde Minarete. Thanks!

Trawinski

Re: Ritter area scramble routes

by Trawinski » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:56 pm

I don't have any first hand knowledge, but I am heading up to Ritter-Banner in about a month, so I've been doing a fair amount of research on conditions from season to season at various times in the summer. Based on that, and the incredible amount of snow we've received this winter and spring (into June!), I would suspect the Ritter Range is still pretty snowed in at this point. I think you can expect the routes to be mixed terrain with the potential for an arduous approach.

There should be some SPers from the Eastern Sierra that can chime in. You can see the range quite clearly from the highway that runs back there.

dskoon

by dskoon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:59 pm

I see you just posted this yesterday.

First, You do know about the snow conditions in the Sierra right now, don't you? Tons of it.
The road down to Devil's Postpile may or may not be open by your arrival date, whenever that is.
I just did a bit of reading on it, and they are still plowing away, with a tentative opening of June 24.
So, that's just the road. To get back to the Ritter and the MInarets, plan on lots of snow. Go by slowshoe or skis, I'm sure. Long and arduous approach. Not saying you can't do it, but just that you should be aware of what it entails.

This is a recent shot, well Memorial day, taken from the Minaret Vista checkstation. This should give you a good idea of what to expect.

Alpine72

by Alpine72 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:50 am

Thanks guys. I figured this may be the case but wanted to double check before I head out. Didn't think it be that bad however. All routes up here in SWBC are buried and will be well into summer. I think I may head out towards Utah this time around instead.

Return to California