Rock Creek

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
fatdad

by fatdad » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:18 pm

Chief, the Petit Griffon? (or is it the Petit Grepon?). Anyways, I've read that it's got a 4th class and a 5.9 up it if I remember correctly. Looks fun. If it's just me, it'll be the N. Couloir.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:39 pm

Griffon.

Let me know if ya want to get up on it.

Lot's of fun either 2 P route:

Urmas's 5.9 or Kevin's 5.7

Even the backside (western) Class 3ish standard route.

ExploreABitMore

by ExploreABitMore » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:46 pm

The Chief wrote:Griffon.

Lot's of fun either 2 P route:

Urmas's 5.9 or Kevin's 5.7

Even the backside (western) Class 3ish standard route.

There's a Class 3 route up Petit Griffon?

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:17 pm

granite4brains wrote:There's a Class 3 route up Petit Griffon?

Supposedly Norman went up the left (west) notch from the North and then followed the big ass crack system on the west side and claimed it to be Class 3. Was never verified as an ascent and I assure you that it isn't Class 3 though. More like 5.5ish and way R.

Harvey's line is the easiest and Selter's line up the obvious North double Summit split is the most straight forward. Both are 2 P's with 70's.

Looking at my cluttered, notes I missed typed. Urmas's line actually starts on the right notch and then up the Western side then heads up Treasure Pks East Ridge to it's summit. My bad.

Good fun route as well.

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:25 pm

Hey Chief! Any more info on the road to the TH? Is any further plowing planned?

ExploreABitMore

by ExploreABitMore » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:28 pm

The Chief wrote:
granite4brains wrote:There's a Class 3 route up Petit Griffon?

Supposedly Norman went up the left (west) notch from the North and then followed the big ass crack system on the west side and claimed it to be Class 3. Was never verified as an ascent and I assure you that it isn't Class 3 though. More like 5.5ish and way R.

Harvey's line is the easiest and Selter's line up the obvious North double Summit split is the most straight forward. Both are 2 P's with 70's.

Looking at my cluttered, notes I missed typed. Urmas's line actually starts on the right notch and then up the Western side then heads up Treasure Pks East Ridge to it's summit. My bad.

Good fun route as well.

Cool, thanks Chief. The minute I saw Norman's name there I started wondering about the Class 3 rating ;-)

Harvey's line looks fun. Been looking to try a couple short easier alpine routes for this year and that one sounds like a great one.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:34 pm

Here...

Again, 3P's with 50's and 2 with 70's. Add a 60 slim line and they both can be rapped with two easy raps.

dshoshone

by dshoshone » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:41 pm

Luciano136 wrote:Hey Chief! Any more info on the road to the TH? Is any further plowing planned?

They ususally don't plow from the pack station to the trail head..they let it melt out on it's own. The gate was closed at the pack station Thursday.

I was just told they opened the road to Mosquito Flat

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:55 pm

dustytrail wrote:
Luciano136 wrote:Hey Chief! Any more info on the road to the TH? Is any further plowing planned?

They ususally don't plow from the pack station to the trail head..they let it melt out on it's own. The gate was closed at the pack station Thursday.

I was just told they opened the road to Mosquito Flat

Awesome!! Thx!

fatdad

by fatdad » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:11 pm

I'll definintely give you a heads up. My schedule is so quirky these days it's been hard to get out--job, two kids, pregnant wife--so I was planning on just going and climbing the N. Couloir by my lonesome. Still, I prefer climbing with others and technical stuff over snow slogs. Probably around the last week of June. I'll let you know.

Deb

by Deb » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:20 pm

fatdad wrote:

I'll definintely give you a heads up. My schedule is so quirky these days it's been hard to get out--job, two kids, pregnant wife--so I was planning on just going and climbing the N. Couloir by my lonesome. Still, I prefer climbing with others and technical stuff over snow slogs. Probably around the last week of June. I'll let you know.

I may have a Sunday/Monday here and there to do a trip; been wanting that North Couloir for years!

Blair

by Blair » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:18 pm

That snowfield looks tasty to ski 8) You ski it yet Chief?

Clydascope

by Clydascope » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:38 pm

I rode my motorcycle to Mosquito Flats yesterday. Kinda soggy up there!

Luciano136

by Luciano136 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:43 pm

Clydascope wrote:I rode my motorcycle to Mosquito Flats yesterday. Kinda soggy up there!

And no pics?! :D

bashbaug

by bashbaug » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:29 am

We hiked to Mount Abbot last weekend. We didn't quite make it to the summit, but it was a lot of fun.

Mosquito Flat Trailhead. Looks weird with no cars! Rock Creek had a lot of water in it. Things are melting fast!

Snow was pretty much continuous starting just before Ruby Lake.

Mount Abbot itself. We got across the couloir, but there was too much snow on the rock (or I was too chicken) to go any farther.

PreviousNext

Return to California