Route list help in Colorado

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
Rschap

Route list help in Colorado

by Rschap » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:03 am

Hi all, I’ve been out of the mountaineering game for a while but I’m looking to get back into it. I started out in mountaineering but rock climbing and ice climbing have taken over for the last several years because I’ve had more time to train for and do them than mountaineering. Recently my life situation has changed and I’ve gotten back my motivation to train for mountaineering. Over the last couple of months I’ve been working on getting back in shape, doing a regular training program, but I still have a long way to go. My goal over the next year is to climb progressively harder routes in the Colorado Rockies to get ready for bigger goals in 2014. I’m trying to get together a list of 8-10 climbs to do on the weekends starting in about two to three weeks and going into next winter. The first route I have chosen is the East Face of Cathedral Peak http://www.summitpost.org/east-face/237103 and I am looking to get on progressively harder routes from here. For my first year back I’d like to keep the routes under 5.11 and WI5 butt I would like to work up to upper 5.10 and WI4 in the mountains by the end of the year. If you have any suggestions in this range it would be greatly appreciated. I’m looking for fun routes not necessarily high summits. I live in Grand Junction so I’d prefer routes closer to me but if a route looks really appealing I’d travel. I’m just looking for suggestions for fun routes, I don’t expect anyone to do all my research for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rschap

Re: Route list help in Colorado

by Rschap » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:01 pm

No response huh? Is this site dead, it looks like it has really low activity. Anyone know of another site for mountaineering that has more activity?

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:37 pm

Hints:

1. Post when people in Colorado will read your post, not when they are sleeping / likely to be heading out for a climb. Your post likely got buried under global activity throughout the day.
2. If you want to "bump" your own post, do so in a way that doesn't put people off. "No response huh? Is this site dead, it looks like it has really low activity. Anyone know of another site for mountaineering that has more activity?" = no way to make friends.
3. Try a more personal and targeted approach. Take a look at routes of interest to you and contact folks who have climbed that route for ideas / information / beta.

Play again?
Go climb a mountain

Rschap

by Rschap » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:49 pm

Ahhh, the Internet. Sorry if I offended you.

Sarah Simon

by Sarah Simon » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:56 pm

Rschap wrote:Ahhh, the Internet. Sorry if I offended you.

Oh, stop that groveling!

Go climb a mountain

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:02 pm

The question is too broad to answer very specifically. You point out a class 3 and want to work up to 5.11 WI4? There would be thousands of possibilities and way too many to list on the thread.

Here you go. All the routes in Colorado added to SP that are between Class 3 and 5.11:

http://www.summitpost.org/object_list.p ... bject_name

Arranged by difficulty:

http://www.summitpost.org/object_list.p ... difficulty

Ice climbs:

http://www.summitpost.org/object_list.p ... bject_name

If you want something more specific, then you will have to ask more specific questions.

Rschap

by Rschap » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:22 pm

Scott, thank you for your help. That will be a good place to start. I'm not looking for someone to make my list for me. I am just looking for suggestions in that range from people that have climbed them. If I was closer to the Sierras I'd have my list already but I got out of mountaineering around the time I moved to Colorado so I don't know the Rockies that we'll.

My question about the site being dead was not out of place. Websites die, and as I haven't been on this site in 8-10 years I wasn't sure. As far as global chatter I'm not of what you're talking about, I posted a week and a half ago and My post is still on the first page. I did not intend to offend anyone. If I did I apologize.

Rschap

by Rschap » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:45 pm

I can see where my original question was not as clear as I'd hoped. I was hoping that by posting some of my experience people would see that I'm not some Gumby looking to go get himself killed. I have been rock climbing for 13 years, ice climbing for 9, until 8 years ago I'd been climbing mountains in California for 7 or 8 years. I'm looking to get acquainted with the Colorado Rockies. I reposted my question in a new thread titled "Best Routes in the Colorado Rockies", hopefully I did a better job of asking my question. Thank you.

Return to Colorado