San Diego

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
bc44caesar

San Diego

by bc44caesar » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:40 pm

Hey all, I'm probably moving out to San Diego this summer/fall to start a grad program at UCSD. It looks like I'll be there for 5-6 yrs, and I couldn't be more excited about it. It'd be great to get out and climb with some folks on SP too. My favorite pursuits have been ski mountaineering, alpine mixed climbing and glacial climbs in the Cascades and Alps, but I'm into just getting out in the outdoors! My climbing experiences have been pretty limited in California - just JTree and some mountaineering in the Sierras - so I was hoping to get some advice on where to go as well. Is there much climbing local to San Diego? If anyone cares to share any general advice on San Diego or Southern California I would be happy to hear it too!

-Casey

alleyehave

Welcome to SD! (When you get here..)

by alleyehave » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:15 pm

UCSD is an awesome campus, congrats on that. Local climbing here in SD is of mixed quality. One thing is for sure, we do have a lot of convenient options within 15-60 minutes from UCSD. From multipitch sport climbing, pretty classic bouldering, and of course our share of choss. Although bear in mind, it's not very often that people drive south to San Diego as a climbing destination. Mostly only locals outside around here.

You mentioned j-tree. Most San Diego climber's that can fit money/time into climbing will spend the 2-3 hours to get to Tahquitz or J-Tree north of us. It's a very nice option to have, and of course the more you do it, the less the drive seems. When you get here i'd be more than happy to show you a couple of San Diego spots. Send me a PM anytime.

Oh and don't forget, red rocks is about 5 hours away, yosemite about 8-9, sierras 6-9 hours away, and LA is only two....

Take care!

PS: Sorry I didn't pick up on the emphasis of mountaineering/skiing etc. Very little, if any in San Diego, sorry. But, Mt. Baldy, San Gorgonio and San Jacinto are all within about 2-3 hours and offer some pretty good mountaineering/backcountry skiiing. Tahquitz even has decent mixed/ice climbing infrequently during the winters here (once every 2-4 years, or so im told, this winter probably too dry/warm). I'm just getting into that side of the game as we speak...

HeyItsBen

by HeyItsBen » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:34 pm

Check out socal's big three: Mt. Baldy, San Gorgonio, and San Jacinto. Each area has a ton of possibilities, great winter and summer stuff. Mt. Baldy and San G. areas are within 2.5 hours from San Diego, San Jacinto being a little closer, so not exactly San Diego local, but a good alternative when you don't feel like driving all the way to the Sierra.

For rock climbing, there are a few local places that are worth checking out...Mt. Woodson area (bouldering, some short routes, crack climbing) and El Cajon (mulitpitch stuff).

scottydo

by scottydo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:08 pm

The big climbing areas around San Diego are:
Mission Gorge: Sport/Trad (all single pitch, the rock can be pretty slick but there's some decent climbs there)
Mt Woodson: Mostly Trad & some Sport (got to be willing to bush wack a little)
Santee: All bouldering (crazy easy approach, quality bouldering for the area)

There are a bunch of other areas that are a little farther out but if you're gonna climb down here alot I'd reccomend picking up a guide book.

fingers

by fingers » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:25 pm

san diego has a vast amount of rock. the more you poke around the more you find, if you are into climbing rock routes you will find a huge spectrum of routes and quality. mostly good to unbelievable granite. the areas already mentioned are purely what lies on top, the further you get out the better it gets, and this doesnt include anything outside of the san diego county. areas are currently being developed that are spectacular. enjoy.

Deb

by Deb » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:47 pm

Stonewall Peak has some nice blank walls AND cracks. Anyone done Descano walls? I hate driving thru Julian on a weekend but of course you can access these from the south near I-8, Lakeside, Santee....
Plenty of climbing in San Bernardinos during summer and fall too......Holcomb is my fave!

bc44caesar

by bc44caesar » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:23 am

Wow! Thanks for all the tips! I hope to get out a lot while I'm there - sounds like the options are abundant. The last couple years I've spent in Maryland have involved very few climbing trips unfortunately, so as long as I don't get too busy with schoolwork I really hope to be out on the rock a lot (although I might get lured into some surfing too along the way...). Look forward to meeting some California SPers too!

bajaandy

by bajaandy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:52 am

DON'T LISTEN TO THEM! THERE ARE NO NEW CLIMBING AREAS IN SAN DIEGO!

PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE MAN BEHIND THE GREEN CURTAIN!

(But be sure to hit us up anyway when you get out here... heh heh heh.)

bc44caesar

by bc44caesar » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:45 pm

What are good guidebooks for the San Diego area, SoCal bouldering, Tahquitz/Suicide, and JTree? Are there local guidebooks that are better than the Falcon guides that I see for sale?

Dave Daly

by Dave Daly » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:03 pm

Check it...
Last edited by Dave Daly on Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Daly

by Dave Daly » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:04 pm

Caesar -

These are reliable books that most of us use out in these neck of the woods:

Tahquitz/Suicide

Joshua Tree

San Diego County Climbs

Hidden Tresure: San Bernardino Mtns, East (Big Bear Basin)

bajaandy

by bajaandy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:09 pm

bc44caesar wrote: I really hope to be out on the rock a lot (although I might get lured into some surfing too along the way...). Look forward to meeting some California SPers too!

The So Cal trifecta: Beach, Mountains, Desert all in the same day. Dawn patrol surf, mid-day climbing and then out to the dez as the sun sets to catch the awesome stary nights while telling tales around the campfire.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:23 pm

Let's not forget McCain Valley (Lowenbrau Pin and Boulders) and numerous secret spots just south of Boulevard on the other side of I-8 along the Mex border....Valley of the Moon!
(Got several FA's at both locations)
5 *****'s in my book. And you'll definitely have the entire place to yurself, except for an occasional trail of illegals wandering into the country....seriously!:lol:

Lowenbrau...

Valley of the Moon...

no avatar
Crotch

by Crotch » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:17 am

You can pick up some great topos on Chris Hubbard's website. http://www.climbingtoposofsandiego.com/

Also beta at http://www.climbsd.com/.

bc44caesar

by bc44caesar » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:52 am

Hey, so I made the move to San Diego. Did a lot of traveling around California over the last couple of months, and am now looking forward to checking out the spots in the local area. I've checked Santee out already - happy to have some decent bouldering only 15min away! Any SPers interested in meeting up for climbing or a beer?

Next

Return to California