San Gabriels Snow Conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
birdhead

San Gabriels Snow Conditions

by birdhead » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:27 am

What are the snow conditions like on the Ski Hut Trail and Baldy Bowl right now? How about Ice House Canyon trail to the saddle? How much is there? Are conditions particularly icy?

Thanks!

Luciano136

Re: San Gabriels Snow Conditions

by Luciano136 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:45 pm

I hiked in the Jacinto range this past weekend and there is only some snow on the north facing slopes. I'm guessing the skihut trail is pretty much dry to the summit; same for icehouse. No need to bring winter gear I'm sure.

birdhead

Re: San Gabriels Snow Conditions

by birdhead » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:28 pm

Luciano136 wrote:I hiked in the Jacinto range this past weekend and there is only some snow on the north facing slopes. I'm guessing the skihut trail is pretty much dry to the summit; same for icehouse. No need to bring winter gear I'm sure.

I went up Icehouse Canyon to Timber Mt on the 23rd and it was mostly clear. There was a little ice after the intersection with the Chapman trail to the saddle. Microspikes were useful for speed/traction but definitely not necessary.

Return to California