Sangre conditions - Music Pass, Colony Lakes, Crestone Needl

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
COEngineer

Sangre conditions - Music Pass, Colony Lakes, Crestone Needl

by COEngineer » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:44 pm

Has anyone been into South Colony Lakes? Has anyone tried Crestone Needle? I have climbing friends coming into town June 21 and they want to do Crestone Needle. Is it significantly more difficult/dangerous with snow in the culoirs?

I went backpacking in from Music Pass on Saturday, 14 June. The road to the trailhead is open, just a little mud here and there. The snow on the trail gets annoying just upstream from the intersection with Sand Creek trail. Several people have made post-hole tracks up to Upper Sand Lake, but Lower Sand Lake is still unreachable. We bush-whacked and weaved around snow fields up to Cottonwood Pass (just north of Milwaukee Peak).

Thanks for any feedback.

no avatar
COEngineer

Re: Sangre conditions - Music Pass, Colony Lakes, Crestone N

by COEngineer » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:55 pm

Here are two pics from my backpacking trip 15 June 2014. The first is on our way up to Cottonwood Pass at the head of Sand Creek valley. The second pic is from Cottonwood Pass looking towards Crestone Needle. Let me know if you have trouble viewing the images.
https://plus.google.com/photos/112671490039400345091/albums/6025987858516008641?authkey=CPW6w7SKu87FsAE

The following user would like to thank COEngineer for this post
Sarah Simon

Return to Colorado