Seeking group trip suggestion for 2nd ever backpacking trip

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
center86

Seeking group trip suggestion for 2nd ever backpacking trip

by center86 » Mon May 06, 2013 10:16 pm

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Me and a group of friends hiked the Stoddard Lake Trail last summer, and we're planning another trip in early June, just for three days - Friday morning to Sunday evening.

We're looking for something similar: guaranteed solitude, undeveloped and beautiful lush land, water (lakes, waterfalls), trees/shade, fires allowed, and relatively close to the Bay Area. Do you have any suggestions about where we should go? I was thinking we could head South this time...

Thanks,
B.

no avatar
Murph1

Re: Seeking group trip suggestion for 2nd ever backpacking t

by Murph1 » Mon May 06, 2013 11:41 pm

center86:
If you want to head south out of the Bay Area I suggest going to the Dinkey Lakes Area out of Fresno and Shaver Lake. There are a whole series of lakes, streams and a couple of waterfalls too. Lots of pesky mesquitoes. The lakes are above 8,500'. Can't say you will have the place totally to yourself if you hit the first two or three lakes, but if you head to the higher, more remote ones you will be away from other backpackers
The snow is rapidly disappearing in the Southern Sierra and several areas usually still snowed in in early June will be opening up early this year.
Wherever you decide to go call ahead to the local Ranger Station for an update on backroads and snow conditions in the backcountry.
Happy Hiking! :)

ScottyP

Re: Seeking group trip suggestion for 2nd ever backpacking t

by ScottyP » Tue May 07, 2013 2:48 am

Finding solitude that close to the car is the hard part. I have had good luck in the Carson Iceberg and Emigrant Wolderness areas. Just avoid Kennedy Meadows and opt for Crabtree or Gianeli trail heads instead.

Return to California