Soft shell for climbing and running?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
Malch

Soft shell for climbing and running?

by Malch » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:52 am

I'm in need of a jacket for winter running, and it would be really nice if I could use it above treeline as well. I don't know how long I'll have this jacket, or how extreme my ascents will eventually get, so what is your best recommendation for a soft shell that is also decent for running?

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:25 am

I like my Arc'T Epsilon SV for running. You'll have to do some searching to find one though, they've been discontinued. A slightly newer piece that I really like is my TNF Apex Elixir vest. It stretches really well and breathes well while still blocking wind. I don't run in the Epsilon til it's pretty darn cold.

Kai

by Kai » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:30 pm

Patagonia Houdini Jacket.

Weighs nothing.

Has a hood, and is quite weather resistant.

http://www.backpacker.com/may_09_gear_r ... gear/13073

http://reviews.patagonia.com/9248/24017/reviews.htm

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:32 am

Houdinis are good, but they don't fit me - they're too wide in the waist and short in the arms.

Similar but better is the Arcteryx Squamish pullover. Light enough to run in but weather-resistant enough to wear mountaineering. I've used one repeatedly in Antarctica and in Pakistan. Nice athletic cut and good hood.

But both garments are increasingly hard to get now, not sure why.

D

talusfinder

by talusfinder » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:51 am

Not a softshell, but I run in my marmot driclime windshirt all winter. I live at 9000 feet in CO, so it gets pretty dang cold here. For example, I ran yesterday, ambient temp was 3F, with a windchill of -15F. I was quite comfortable (except for my face and feet) with a smartwool thermal top, 100 weight fleece pullover, marmot windshirt, fleece pants, gloves and a hat. That windshirt is one of the most versatile pieces I own. I use it way more than my 5X more expensive Arc Gamma MX softshell, which is probably a bit better piece for winter climbing, but way overkill for running. I usually go patagonia fleece r4 and hardshell for winter mtn ascents anyway.

Snowy

Driclime

by Snowy » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:00 pm

By the traditional definition, the marmot driclime is a softshell (shelled micropile) in its purest form. It'd be a great option and you can find them CHEAP.

no avatar
Malch

by Malch » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:30 am

It's not too important, but how much protection does the DriClime Windshirt offer against rain/snow?

Also I don't think the Epsilon SV is discontinued; I found it on the Arc'T website as well as a few shopping sites. Looks like a good option as well although it might be out of my price range...

fossana

by fossana » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:29 pm

talusfinder wrote:Not a softshell, but I run in my marmot driclime windshirt all winter.

+1
It's also my favorite jacket for running. I personally don't like to run in waterproof jackets since they build up a lot of moisture on the inside no matter how "breathable" they claim to be. I also use my Driclime for climbing during the warmer months.

MoapaPk

Re: Driclime

by MoapaPk » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:57 pm

Snowy wrote:By the traditional definition, the marmot driclime is a softshell (shelled micropile) in its purest form. It'd be a great option and you can find them CHEAP.

What is the definition of softshell?

talusfinder

by talusfinder » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:10 pm

Malch wrote:It's not too important, but how much protection does the DriClime Windshirt offer against rain/snow?

Not much in terms of weather protection, but great in wind. I've worn it in the rather dry CO snow with no problems, and some climbs that have finished in a light rain. I'd want something a bit burlier if I was going to be in harsher weather or mild rain/snow for extended periods of time. It does dry really quickly, though, if you do get caught.

dskoon

by dskoon » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:19 pm

fossana wrote:
talusfinder wrote:Not a softshell, but I run in my marmot driclime windshirt all winter.

+1
It's also my favorite jacket for running. I personally don't like to run in waterproof jackets since they build up a lot of moisture on the inside no matter how "breathable" they claim to be. I also use my Driclime for climbing during the warmer months.

+2, or 3!
Yeah, not waterproof, but very good for biking, hiking, running, and. . climbing.
Sheds moisture, unless it's pissing out(which I've been caught in), but it does dry quickly and breathes pretty well. Great all-around jacket. Gonna put mine on in a few minutes and head out. . .

woodsxc

Re: Driclime

by woodsxc » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:06 pm

MoapaPk wrote:
Snowy wrote:By the traditional definition, the marmot driclime is a softshell (shelled micropile) in its purest form. It'd be a great option and you can find them CHEAP.

What is the definition of softshell?

Highly breathable, stretchy, waterproof (resistant), wind-blocking, insulating (varying degrees) fabric.

Return to Gear