SP Chat, applications, chatrooms and notifications

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
mrchad9

Re: SP Chat, applications, chatrooms and notifications

by mrchad9 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:34 am

Josh Lewis wrote:So why do you say "I'd like to give it a 10, but it is late. Will you do it for me?". It's not possible for a non admin to do that.

That is the whole point Josh. Nartreb says he can do it, and he is not an admin. I am giving him my permission to prove he can do it with my account on his profile photo, so he won't get into any trouble if he does.

As surprising as his post is, I'm assuming it has a touch more credibility than yours.

Josh Lewis wrote:I know about a million ways to cheat the system

List just 40 of them...

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:51 am

Ok when I said million, I meant more like a lot! :lol:
Well I don't want to give the people on here with lots of "power" ideas. :twisted: First off with photo of the day you can do some pretty messed up stuff with manipulation. Also without being a powerful member there is some other stuff, in my case I voted for myself which is how I got the admins pretty steamed on that one. Also avatars is another alternative, and pm begging, and the list goes on. But the admins are pretty good about catching some of this stuff. I know of much more than no one would be able to detect but that right there is a pretty sick move for anyone to do. But I always remember this one, there is no honor in cheating! :D As for why I didn't explain every single move, not only did I not want the ideas out, but the admins would not be so pleased. 8) So I see you want to hack summit post? :wink: (Just kidding... kinda)
Plus I know of some crazy codes that do some pretty weird stuff.

Corax

by Corax » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:40 pm

SP Chat, applications, chatrooms and notifications

Junk it all.
What's the logic of having a gateway to Farmville from a mountaineering site?
Who needs notifications popping up all over the place all the time, even if the messages have been checked?
Chats - aren't there enough possibilities to get in touch on the www as it is?

Thanks for spending time adding this, but in my book it's all unnecessary, pointless and out of place.
It's dangerous to be right when the government is wrong. Voltaire

The following user would like to thank Corax for this post
anita, lcarreau, toc

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:30 pm

Call me a narrow-minded old-fashioned Old Fart , but I feel the same way as Corax.

Why the hell do we need a "chatting feature" on a mountaineering site ???

ALL chatting leads to is folks cheating the system, airing their dirty laundry and becoming parinoid over the way people
feel about them in their own specified "Groups."

It's all social behavior, typical of people in LOVE with themselves and the internet. Sorry, but it's NOT my glass of beer ..

:roll:
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

The following user would like to thank lcarreau for this post
anita, Corax

Lolli

by Lolli » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:10 pm

Chat can be useful when planning a trip or doing a page together or whatever. Keep that one. The others.. well no.
I like the fact I get an email about having a message, the notification is just disturbing.
Age is a matter of mind and if you don´t mind it does not matter!

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:18 pm

nartreb wrote:Those of you worried about whether Matt can see your chats should worry more about whether anybody can access your account and pretend to be you. I haven't tried to do that, but if the ease with which I can fake a vote (by anybody, on any object) is any indication, SP was not built with security in mind.

I think Matt and the other staff members would be interested to know how it is you think someone can fake a vote by another member because if such is possible, that would be, to put it mildly, a serious issue. Please send a PM to Matt and/or the elves if you are willing to share this.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Lolli

by Lolli » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:55 pm

Well, I have gotten no messages from "trolls, messages in incoherent english asking if I like men, and other crap", so I guess they deem you a better target for it.

To each to his own. Because you don't, there are others who might.
One can either judge what people do from one own's behaviour, or acknowledge the fact that people do things differently.
Age is a matter of mind and if you don´t mind it does not matter!

Corax

by Corax » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:26 pm

lcarreau wrote:It's all social behavior, typical of people in LOVE with themselves and the internet.

:D
Well said. Agreed to the full.

anita wrote:I don't know why anyone would use SP (slow) to plan trips when there is email (fast), facebook (fast), msn (fast) and telephone (super fast).

Very true. Who would make any serious plans based on a chat conversation with the SP chat function?
It's obvious that it's the ultimate favorite tool for trolls though.
It's dangerous to be right when the government is wrong. Voltaire

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:33 pm

Josh Lewis wrote:...which is how I got the admins pretty steamed on that one...

and you can be sure that the mods and admins are very happy to hear those things again from you...

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:40 pm

anita wrote:nartreb: I think it's a bad idea to talk about faking votes when "Josh Lewis" is back in the picture

Hey! You don't actually know me, which for that reason I understand why you would say such a thing, but I'm different now! I don't do voting scams, I could go on and on about what if scenarios but this thread is about chatting. Whatever, say what you want, but my friends and such know what is actually true. :wink:

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:37 pm

Josh Lewis wrote:Ok when I said million, I meant more like a lot! :lol:
Well I don't want to give the people on here with lots of "power" ideas. :twisted: First off with photo of the day you can do some pretty messed up stuff with manipulation. Also without being a powerful member there is some other stuff, in my case I voted for myself which is how I got the admins pretty steamed on that one. Also avatars is another alternative, and pm begging, and the list goes on. But the admins are pretty good about catching some of this stuff. I know of much more than no one would be able to detect but that right there is a pretty sick move for anyone to do. But I always remember this one, there is no honor in cheating! :D As for why I didn't explain every single move, not only did I not want the ideas out, but the admins would not be so pleased. 8) So I see you want to hack summit post? :wink: (Just kidding... kinda)
Plus I know of some crazy codes that do some pretty weird stuff.

Well, you didn't say any right there that I didn't already know about and I've only been here a year and a half. I assume pretty much everyone else knows about those options too. Pretty low tech ways to beat the system you have there. nartreb has you beat by a mile.

mrchad9 wrote:As surprising as his post is, I'm assuming it has a touch more credibility than yours.

I was right.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:39 pm

[quote='mrchad9]]
nartreb wrote:Those of you worried about whether Matt can see your chats should worry more about whether anybody can access your account and pretend to be you. I haven't tried to do that, but if the ease with which I can fake a vote (by anybody, on any object) is any indication, SP was not built with security in mind.

Wait... What!!!

OK- I don't mean to be suspicious, but this surprises me. You have a nice profile photo... I'd like to give it a 10, but it is late. Will you do it for me?[/quote]
I'm impressed. nartreb did it. Check his profile photo, fourth vote is from me (it got there when I wasn't even logged on).

Well done nartreb.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:40 pm

Hey! I don't want to get in trouble with admins here. I didn't explain the good ones. 8) So you can get your scams some place else. :)

Edit: I just saw the above post, and they call me a scam artist. :lol: Well that's still not much in comparison to what I know. But I will admit I am impressed.
Last edited by Josh Lewis on Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:42 pm

Josh Lewis wrote:Hey! I don't want to get in trouble with admins here. I didn't explain the good ones. 8) So you can get your scams some place else. :)

You said what nartreb mentioned wasn't possible, it was. If I wanted scams I'd ask him, but I don't, and he seems like a trustworthy guy.

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:45 pm

*sigh. Ok I give up. :P

I didn't think that sp was so insecure when it comes to votes. As for nartreb, he is a trust worthy guy, I've been on a trip with him before. He's nice too.
Sorry if I offended anyone, I just didn't like how people wanted me to expose the scams that I know of but that I actually would not do, and what I know and what I will do are two totally different things folks.

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback