SPer Rick Kent Accident

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
MoapaPk

Re: SPer Rick Kent Accident

by MoapaPk » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:53 pm

mrjchad9 wrote:BTW... Where did the fucking J in your name go?

shhh... check you name... remember, this happened on Halloween

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:55 pm

MoapaPk wrote:Vons delivers too (around here). You can order your stuff on line and they will pack it and drive it to you. They tend to pick produce rather randomly, but hey, there have to be some compromises.

Oh, so THAT'S what the grocery store does with all those brown bananas and expired milk.

fedak

by fedak » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:00 pm

> Safeway.com delivery might help

I used Safeway.com extensively when I was injured.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.fedak.net/backcountry.html

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:04 pm

Daria wrote:oh yes, you can add 8. I don't wear deodorant to the list

I tape slices of salami in my armpits. Smells great, and makes for an easy-to-reach high-energy snack.

Codeine wearing off?

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:24 pm

Day Hiker wrote:Oh, so THAT'S what the grocery store does with all those brown bananas and expired milk.

Pete and I buy up that stuff. You can make a great frozen custard from expired milk and brown bananas. It also make a soothing poultice for leg injuries.

codeine wearing off yet?

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:42 pm

Day Hiker wrote:
Bob Burd wrote:Somehow he drove a full-size bus over Mengel Pass

My understanding is that he brought the bus into Barker Ranch from the west, up Goler Wash, which would mean he didn't take it over Mengel Pass. (You only have to go over Mengel if you come from the east.) But Goler Wash is not really in much better shape than Mengel Pass, based on the times I've been there.

I didn't realize Barker Ranch was in Goler Wash - I'd always thought it was in Butte Valley. But in reading the DPS guide just now, it looks like the bus *did* come over Mengel Pass:

"It was here that Charles Manson 'flew' his magic bus, loaded with disciples up to the ranch in 1969. As was later discovered, he didn't bring it up Goler Wash from Panamint Valley, but instead drove it over the Warm Springs Road and down over Mengel Pass. Still quite a feat considering it was a full sized school bus."

How's the foot doing this morning, Rick? :wink:

The following user would like to thank Bob Burd for this post
John Duffield

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:35 pm

Bob Burd wrote:
Day Hiker wrote:My understanding is that he brought the bus into Barker Ranch from the west, up Goler Wash, which would mean he didn't take it over Mengel Pass. (You only have to go over Mengel if you come from the east.) But Goler Wash is not really in much better shape than Mengel Pass, based on the times I've been there.

I didn't realize Barker Ranch was in Goler Wash - I'd always thought it was in Butte Valley. But in reading the DPS guide just now, it looks like the bus *did* come over Mengel Pass:

"It was here that Charles Manson 'flew' his magic bus, loaded with disciples up to the ranch in 1969. As was later discovered, he didn't bring it up Goler Wash from Panamint Valley, but instead drove it over the Warm Springs Road and down over Mengel Pass. Still quite a feat considering it was a full sized school bus."

Thanks. I don't remember where I got my information, but apparently it was all wrong, and my Internet-research skills were way too lazy last night to figure it out for myself.

East to west, via Warm Spring Canyon and Mengel Pass, is also the way I have gone through there. (So I have only driven down Goler Wash, not up.)

Here is part of the mess at Mengel Pass, coming from the east:

Daria

by Daria » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:08 pm

I called Vons, and then was redirected to safeway for Rick to find out what the costs of home delivery are. I never got a hold of anyone that could tell me this, as I eventually hung up after being put on hold for so long. I think that was his main concern-is that it may be a little expensive? On the website it says that the first home delivery is free, what about the fee for subsequent deliveries?
I'm the top troll.

cp0915

by cp0915 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:18 pm

Day Hiker wrote:East to west, via Warm Spring Canyon and Mengel Pass, is also the way I have gone through there. (So I have only driven down Goler Wash, not up.)

Here is part of the mess at Mengel Pass, coming from the east:

I think I remember that rental!

rhyang

by rhyang » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:11 pm

Daria wrote:I called Vons, and then was redirected to safeway for Rick to find out what the costs of home delivery are. I never got a hold of anyone that could tell me this, as I eventually hung up after being put on hold for so long. I think that was his main concern-is that it may be a little expensive? On the website it says that the first home delivery is free, what about the fee for subsequent deliveries?

The delivery fees are in an online FAQ -

http://www.safeway.com/IFL/Grocery/Shopping-Help#faq2

Depending on time slot it varies between $7-10. He will only need the service until he can drive, and maybe only for big bulky items after that, for a while anyway. Also try to enlist friends / family / coworkers if possible.

btw When I was in the halo I hired a home health aide to come in every week and help with halo liner changes, laundry, groceries, etc. Since it was a temporary thing I used an agency, which was a bit spendy but I didn't have to deal with the red tape of being an "employer". This should be kind of a last resort.
Taaaake !

Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:24 pm

Gratuitous advice about being on crutches:

1. Be extra careful on wet surfaces; seems like a "duh" suggestion but you'd be surprised how easy it is to miscalculate.

2. Crutches aren't indestructible. I tripped once and in trying to catch myself one of my crutches snapped right in half; almost sent myself back to square one in healing.

3. I found taking showers without getting your cast or boot wet the most trying thing in being on crutches.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:40 pm

rhyang wrote:He will only need the service until he can drive, and maybe only for big bulky items after that, for a while anyway.

We were still wondering how that works, specifically how it's possible to shop while using two crutches. After minor knee surgery in 2003, I was able to shop on one crutch; I could use my free hand to push the cart. But two crutches means neither hand is free. Or are you saying Rick might want to use one of those little electric wheelchair carts? :lol:

rhyang wrote:. . . friends . . .

In Bakersfield? :lol: :wink:

rhyang

by rhyang » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:04 pm

Day Hiker wrote:how it's possible to shop while using two crutches. After minor knee surgery in 2003, I was able to shop on one crutch; I could use my free hand to push the cart. But two crutches means neither hand is free. Or are you saying Rick might want to use one of those little electric wheelchair carts? :lol:

Using a cart is kind of out of the question with two crutches. I was able to use an over the shoulder bike courier bag with mine though. It goes without saying that you have to be careful not to lose your balance, and you can't carry a whole lot, but if you just need a few things it beats sitting at home. Being high on vicodin or in a lot of pain is not going to help and I would not suggest this until you've built up your arms on crutches around the house a couple weeks :)

Ya, I've also used the electric wheelchair carts .. don't be afraid to ask store staff for help, both with getting things off shelves and with assistance loading stuff into the car. But be aware that if you need help getting groceries into the car, what will you do once you get them home ? You have to think ahead about these things :)

I also found that when I was walking around in a halo some of my neighbors were very sympathetic and were willing to help. Sometimes when you're down you really find out how kind people are at heart.
Taaaake !

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:08 pm

Never mind the grocery shopping! Winter is coming, Rick! Pimp those crutches!!

http://nsf-pad.bme.uconn.edu/1989/chapter_3.pdf

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:12 pm

MoapaPk wrote:
mrjchad9 wrote:BTW... Where did the fucking J in your name go?

shhh... check you name... remember, this happened on Halloween

from the elf Sent Box:

No idea, but it's fixed now.

--- On Mon Nov 1, 2010 01:19:37 PM mrjchad9 wrote:---
> why the fuck is there a 'j' in my user name?

:mrgreen:

PreviousNext

Return to California