STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
AshleyG12

Re: STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

by AshleyG12 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:54 pm

New to high pointing, would like to know if there are some king of chat for beginners or some interesting info for new people, thanks!

Puma concolor

by Puma concolor » Wed May 16, 2018 2:02 am

I don’t want to brag, but I think I could accurately be described as the king of chat when it comes to state highpointing.

Whaddaya wanna know?
“Twitter is not real life.” - Dave Rubin

The following user would like to thank Puma concolor for this post
John Duffield

spiderman

by spiderman » Wed May 23, 2018 12:36 am

Welcome to the Klub, Ashley! We were all new to the group at one point in our "careers". Keep on learning and keep on grinding and you will have an amazing sojourn. I started out highpointing with my little boy 12 years ago, climbing Highpoint NJ. We didn't have very many skills back then, but slowly grew our capabilities as we had to go up tougher and tougher peaks. Rainier, Hood, and Gannett were truly amazing way to get technical confidence. Back when we started, there were no mobile phones. Nowadays you can get so much information on apps such as Peakbagger and Gaia. Aim to do one or two big trips a year and the list will get completed rather quickly. We usually did 6 easier peaks every Thanksgiving holiday, plus had a week or two trip during the summers.

Summer is almost here, everyone. We are heading up to Alaska to complete HP#50 in another week (actually #96 on the EPIC list). Wish us luck on our unguided expedition! I hope to stand on top for my "boy's" 17th birthday in mid-June.

http://www.peakbagger.com/list.aspx?lid=6510

Puma concolor

by Puma concolor » Wed May 23, 2018 11:33 am

OK. That’s a new one for me. What is the EPIC list? Not readily apparent just by glacing at the list of “peaks.” :?

(Oh wait ... isolation, elevation and prominence in all 50 states?)

Jow

by Jow » Wed May 23, 2018 3:06 pm

Post by Puma concolor » Wed May 23, 2018 11:33 am

OK. That’s a new one for me. What is the EPIC list? Not readily apparent just by glacing at the list of “peaks.” :?

(Oh wait ... isolation, elevation and prominence in all 50 states?)

This list combines all the peaks that are either the highest, most prominent, or most isolated in all the 50 US states. The list only contains 96 peaks, not 150, because in most states one peak comes out #1 in two or three categories.

http://www.peakbagger.com/List.aspx?lid=6510&cid=8484

The following user would like to thank Jow for this post
Puma concolor

spiderman

by spiderman » Wed May 23, 2018 10:43 pm

Climbing the state highpoints was such a fun experience that we decided to do the next most prominent two peaks (the Second and Third Lap). We then noticed that we just had a few more most-isolated peaks to climb to be in the EPIC club. I think that there are only two members right now... legendary Bob Packard of course being the first to complete this list.

Once you get addicted to these lists, it is hard to stop working on a new project.

The following user would like to thank spiderman for this post
Puma concolor

Puma concolor

by Puma concolor » Thu May 24, 2018 3:30 am

spiderman wrote:
Once you get addicted to these lists, it is hard to stop working on a new project.

No doubt.

This year marks the first time in a quarter of a century where I have no active lists I’m working on. Enjoying the freedom of it so far. :)

CoA

by CoA » Thu May 24, 2018 4:14 am

spiderman wrote:Welcome to the Klub, Ashley! We were all new to the group at one point in our "careers". Keep on learning and keep on grinding and you will have an amazing sojourn. I started out highpointing with my little boy 12 years ago, climbing Highpoint NJ. We didn't have very many skills back then, but slowly grew our capabilities as we had to go up tougher and tougher peaks. Rainier, Hood, and Gannett were truly amazing way to get technical confidence. Back when we started, there were no mobile phones. Nowadays you can get so much information on apps such as Peakbagger and Gaia. Aim to do one or two big trips a year and the list will get completed rather quickly. We usually did 6 easier peaks every Thanksgiving holiday, plus had a week or two trip during the summers.

Summer is almost here, everyone. We are heading up to Alaska to complete HP#50 in another week (actually #96 on the EPIC list). Wish us luck on our unguided expedition! I hope to stand on top for my "boy's" 17th birthday in mid-June.

This is a great story. All the best for your final climb on the HP list!

You may have already covered this in another post somewhere, but it would be great to hear some highlights of your list. Perhaps some things like: Favorite 3 peaks and why. Most surprising 3 peaks for whatever reason. 3 peaks that you definitely would and wouldn’t visit again. 3 things you learned along the way (doesn’t just have to be about climbing).

See if you can convince a few more of us to take up the challenge!

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Thu May 24, 2018 12:35 pm

Spiderman, rock on at Denali! Good luck!

AshleyG12

by AshleyG12 » Fri May 25, 2018 10:43 am

spiderman wrote:Welcome to the Klub, Ashley! We were all new to the group at one point in our "careers". Keep on learning and keep on grinding and you will have an amazing sojourn. I started out highpointing with my little boy 12 years ago, climbing Highpoint NJ. We didn't have very many skills back then, but slowly grew our capabilities as we had to go up tougher and tougher peaks. Rainier, Hood, and Gannett were truly amazing way to get technical confidence. Back when we started, there were no mobile phones. Nowadays you can get so much information on apps such as Peakbagger and Gaia. Aim to do one or two big trips a year and the list will get completed rather quickly. We usually did 6 easier peaks every Thanksgiving holiday, plus had a week or two trip during the summers.

Thanks!!!

Puma concolor

by Puma concolor » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:13 am

Latest dispatches suggesting Denali is getting whacked with a big storm. Fingers crossed that spiderman & co have already summited and are on their way back down.

http://dispatches.alpineinstitute.com

Puma concolor

by Puma concolor » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:05 am

^^^^

‘Twas a big storm indeed. Being called the “Great Typhoon of 2018.”

Melis has declared the "Great Typhoon of 2018" to be over and done with! The National Weather Service accurately predicted it's arrival, issued several days of severe weather warnings, and climbers up and down the mountain listened and paid heed. The last six days or so saw little to no movement on the mountain as climbers hunkered down and took turns shoveling. At times, Melis thought the glacier was trying to bury them alive as the mountain was blanketed with unrelenting snow.

https://www.nps.gov/dena/blogs/field-report-june-23-2018.htm

A majority of climbers are off the mountain at this point but some teams remain. Above link showing just a 44 percent summit success rate for the year as of a few days ago. By comparison, 57 percent of climbers reached the top in my Denali summit year of 2015.

sgb02d

by sgb02d » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:28 pm

Hiked in a few miles and camped then summitted Mount Marcy early in the morning . Very hot but great weather . Finished up the following weekend with Charles mound.
https://www.relive.cc/view/rt10000552660

40 high points done with the Pacific Northwest area, HI, and AK remaining. I’m going to start looking into Denali sooner than later.

The following user would like to thank sgb02d for this post
Jow, Puma concolor

Jow

by Jow » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:18 pm

sgb02d wrote:40 high points done with the Pacific Northwest area, HI, and AK remaining. I’m going to start looking into Denali sooner than later.

Nice work Congrats!

I'm similar in that I just got to 40 states myself a few weeks ago with a roadtrip to LA,AR,MS, & MO. Here is little trip report for these massive peaks

https://www.summitpost.org/eating-drinking-sweating-my-way-to-highpoints-37-40/1020234

and I also put a report together for last years Whitney & Boundary peaks adventure to remember how varied this hobby can be

https://www.summitpost.org/weekend-high-in-the-west/1019398

The following user would like to thank Jow for this post
Bark Eater, Puma concolor, sgb02d

Puma concolor

by Puma concolor » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:16 pm

33-year-old Colin O’Brady just destroyed the previous 50 state speed record of 41 days.

The new record?

21 days. :shock: :shock: :shock:

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/article215165150.html

The following user would like to thank Puma concolor for this post
Woodswalker

PreviousNext

Return to General