STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Woodswalker

Re: STATE HIGHPOINT CLIMBERS

by Woodswalker » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:09 pm

^^^
While I admire his accomplishment I might also ask, "What's the hurry?"

The following user would like to thank Woodswalker for this post
Puma concolor

Puma concolor

by Puma concolor » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:09 pm

^^^

A fair question, for sure. The kind of experience that O’Brady had highpointing the 50 states is so far removed from the kind of experience that all of us here have had that it’s hard to even put it in the same category.

There is one portion of the linked article that offers a glimpse into his psyche and his motivation.

He first got the idea for the project two years ago, but the need to push himself and encourage people to lead a healthy life goes back to 2008.

While on a backpacking trip in Thailand, O’Brady was severely injured in a fire. Doctors told him the burns covered 25 percent of his body and he might never walk again.

O’Brady’s response? A vow to complete his first triathlon once he recovered.

He signed up for the Chicago Triathlon in 2009 and stunned the sporting world when he took first place.

Sponsorship offers came the same day, and O’Brady quit his job in finance, going on to race in 25 countries on six continents.

“I got to this point where I thought, ‘This is amazing, but I want to do something more than push my body,’” he said.

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/article215165150.html

Jow

by Jow » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:21 pm

Puma concolor wrote:33-year-old Colin O’Brady just destroyed the previous 50 state speed record of 41 days.

The new record?

21 days. :shock: :shock: :shock:

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/article215165150.html

That's insane I would love to see a detailed itinerary of logistically how it was achieved. More the drive times and flights than the physical part of it. I spend a lot of time planning logistics of these highpoint trips and this would be mind boggling to achieve for example the day he did 6 HPs FL, AL, MS, MO, AR, & LA through google maps that's 25 hours driving so he did flights in there but dealing with airports is slow too so I just find it interesting. It makes me tired just thinking about it but of course I'm unable to sleep on planes or cars so I could never fathom.

Puma concolor

by Puma concolor » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:49 pm

Outstanding in-depth story on one woman’s continuing pursuit of the state highpoints in the September 2018 “Mountain Issue” of Backpacker Magazine. A friend sent me screenshots from the magazine, which goes from pages 79 to 84. Author has 48 HPs and needs “just” Virginia and Alaska.

On-line version found here ...

https://www.backpacker.com/stories/hiking-highest-point-in-every-state

The following user would like to thank Puma concolor for this post
Woodswalker

McCannster

by McCannster » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:59 pm

Just got my 36th (Granite Peak) last weekend. Just one more "hard one" left (Rainier). That'll go down next summer.

The following user would like to thank McCannster for this post
Puma concolor, Woodswalker

Jow

by Jow » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:33 pm

I'm looking at Kings for next summer. My question is how do people acclimate for this peak? My issue is I don't want to do as a long day since I didn't find the last 7 miles of Whitney particularly fun so rather do a 2 or 3 day backpacking trip. The issue is that's 3 days over 10k in a row coming from sea level. I've never really had much issue with altitude but since i'm always on tight time schedule want to see if I need to plan in a extra day in like Park City or something or will that no effect?

Puma concolor

by Puma concolor » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:26 pm

I hiked/climbed Borah immediately prior to Kings in 2008. Lower peak with not all that much sustained time over 12K. Also hiked the first mile or so of the route to Borah the day before my actual summit attempt for some extra acclimation, which worked out nicely. Then headed to Utah and did Kings as a 3-day trip, staying at Dollar Lake for two nights. One night before summitting and one night after. Found these two peaks made a pretty natural pair of state highpoints.

If you don’t plan on attempting Borah for whatever reason, you could also steal an extra night at elevation simply by sleeping the night before your hike at Henry’s Fork Trailhead, which sits over 9K in elevation. Spend a night there and then a night at Dollar Lake (or wherever along the trail) and you should be ready to make a run at the summit.

Jow

by Jow » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:18 pm

I considered Borah but not sure I was going to have time but if adding in acclimatization days then why not? so perhaps... Although shows how crazy highpointers are when an 7+ hour drive is considered "nearby".

Slightly concerned about COR. My cousin Jeff should be able to find some good practice in SoCal i would think but in Florida I may have to just get real solid in a climbing gym (also rare here). I'm planning on hiking Plateau & Sugarloaf in Catskills via part of Devils Path next week so little scramble there maybe in spring I'll be back in Daks for practice as well.

Puma concolor

by Puma concolor » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:28 pm

FWIW, I found COR to be more of a psychological hurdle than anything else. Once I got up on the rock and started going over the top of the ridge, it was quite honestly a lot of fun. Borah and Kings were #42 and #43 for me and it was during that trip that I really started to believe I had a shot at all 50.

But still, you don’t know exactly how you are going to react to exposure like that until you’re faced with it. So it’ll be a big worry fest until you actually get there.

Have fun on Sugarloaf and Plateau as well. The Catskills can get a bit scrambley in places but you never really feel that same sense of exposure because of the heavy tree cover.

JohnMcPike

by JohnMcPike » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:22 am

Anybody else have plans to attend MI19 in UP? We are going but we're bringing the dogs with us so going to any of the indoor group events are out. Since we already been to Arvon, we will check out the Porcupines and some of the falls in the area.

Since the host hotel doesn't allow pets we will stay in a neighboring town.

Just wondered if anyone else was going and what you hope to do. We attended the convention in Oregon in 2012. Got to meet Holsti97 in person as well as a few others from on here and another hp'g venue

Previous

Return to General