Suggestion for pages on 'long trails'

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Bubba Suess

Suggestion for pages on 'long trails'

by Bubba Suess » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:39 am

For some time now, I have been thinking about how to develop a good resource for long trails here on Summitpost. In particular, the Pacific Crest Trail seems to demand something a little in depth than what is presently available (no disrespect to the pages current maintainer).

To this end, I was thinking it would be great if there was a route or area page that was held by en elf or someone else who functioned as the pages proctor. The main page would be fairly bare bones. The current page could even work, but it would be great if it was more dynamic and collaborative.

The real meat would come in the form of route contributions. It would be really cool if there was a communal effort to post sections of the trail as individual routes. This way, locals or people with intimate knowledge of a certain stretch of trail could post in depth explanations of what to expect, contribute detailed, relevant images, and be a resource for those looking to get beta on a precise location. For example, I am very familiar with the PCT as it runs from Gumboot Saddle to Parks Creek, down here by Mount Shasta, but the PCT near Belknap Crater in Oregon is totally foreign territory to me.

This same format could be applied to the Appalachian Trail, the Continental Divide Trail, Hey Duke Trail, or whichever long trail one wanted to develop. Like so many other contributions here on Summitpost, this could easily become the best resource for the given subject available on the internet.

I think it would be really cool to have some projects that members could collaborate on. Of course, this idea could be fleshed out a lot more and I am tired and hardly cogent. Any thoughts or improvements or is this even useful or realistic idea?

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

by Gangolf Haub » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:37 am

Over here on the correct side of the Atlantic Vid started something for the Karnischer Höhenweg, a 7 or 8 day trek (about 100 miles). So far we only posted three pages for the three first stages and haven't even considered doing an overview page. Could come in handy in the end ...

But elf involvement is not really needed methinks.

http://www.summitpost.org/route/574527/ ... age-1.html
http://www.summitpost.org/route/559251/ ... age-2.html
http://www.summitpost.org/route/549727/ ... age-3.html

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:22 pm

I've thought about this a while, too. It would be especially useful for the not-quite-complete or some-routefinding-required trails like the CDT.

If I were to do the PDT, which I'm not, I think I'd start with an area/range page for the trail as a whole and explain that you want "routes" = "trail segments." With private attach only, you could control it.

SP will organize the children pages by elevation or score so you'd need to make a table with the trail segments listed S/N. Mark Doiron's national parks page has a nice model to follow.

Shoutout to midwesterners who might be reading this -- the Ozark Trail is a good not-quite-complete long trail. The official OT page is OK but I know SP could do better. Add some pages and attach to this album.

nartreb

by nartreb » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:28 pm

For really long trails like the AT, there can be (and is) a whole website on the topic.

We took the approach of treating the AT as a list of mountains. At least ten people collaborated on this page and it doesn't even come close to the level of detail you seem to be looking for, though in many cases details are available on separate mountain and route pages.

Return to Site Feedback