Suggestions for Newbie

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
gopherfan

Suggestions for Newbie

by gopherfan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:45 pm

Good Morning All:

I am 27 and looking to climb my first mountain. I have always been into the outdoors stuff and was an avid rock climber. My fiancé and I want to climb a mountain and are debating between doing a Ranier climb or Kilimanjaro climb. Does anyone have any other suggestions for mountains where newbies can climb with a guide? Also, open to any suggestions on how to get into true mountain climbing!

Thanks,

Ole

Kai

Re: Suggestions for Newbie

by Kai » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:46 pm

What part of the world do you live in?

no avatar
gopherfan

by gopherfan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:30 pm

Kai:

I currently live in Kansas City, but am moving back to MN in the coming year. I realize where i am from there is nothing to climb, thus I would most likely need to travel to WA UT or AK in the United States. I appreciate your reply and look forward to hearing from you!

Tonka

by Tonka » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:42 pm

I live in MN and you're right, you will be traveling a lot. Is your rock climbing experience in the gym and Taylors falls? We spend a lot of time in CO because of the relatively cheap flights and short distance. I've done Kili and we are doing Rainier next summer but I would start with some bigger CO peaks and dial in your gear and how your body handles altitude.

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:54 pm

Tonka wrote:I live in MN and you're right, you will be traveling a lot. Is your rock climbing experience in the gym and Taylors falls? We spend a lot of time in CO because of the relatively cheap flights and short distance. I've done Kili and we are doing Rainier next summer but I would start with some bigger CO peaks and dial in your gear and how your body handles altitude.

I agree. Take a weekend and get to climbing something closer to see how you react.....and if you even like it. If you fall in love, spend the dough on a guided climb. CO and WY aren't that far from KC.

deathzonescience

by deathzonescience » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:41 pm

Kili involves no actual climbing or climbing gear, it's high altitude 'walk up'. I would rec. Rainier, which requires actual climbing gear (ropes, harness, crampons, axe). :D

Return to General