Summiting Aconcagua as a newbie?

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
no avatar
Calman

Summiting Aconcagua as a newbie?

by Calman » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:53 am

Hi there (first post :D )

I'm currently planning my trip to south america and I encountered this 'easy to climb' mountain called Aconcagua (have you heard about it? :roll: )

As i have 0 mountain climbing experience, i would like to know what is your opinion about me trying to take on such a mountain.
some general details about me:
21 years old, soon to be an IDF reservist, well practiced in the art of 'Bergen Carrying' (weights up to 70% body weight, sometimes more).

I didn't buy the equipment yet so if you have any recommendations as for softshells, hiking boots (leather vs seude), plastic boots, backpack (60 liters? 70? 80?) i would love to hear whats on your mind.

so ill just put it in general again:
Is it probable that i would get to the top? With/without a guide
What gear do you recommend?? (brand names or specific items)

Norris

Re: Summiting Aconcagua as a newbie?

by Norris » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:56 am

No, it is not "probable" that you would summit, but certainly possible. The likelihood that you summit has a lot to do with preparation and fitness, but also a lot to do with luck (weather during the period you select beforehand for your climb). Do some research on the internet. Here is a good link to start with: http://www.alanarnette.com/7summits/aconcaguafaq.php
Since you have no experience, you should definitely go with others who have a lot of experience, or hire a guide. A guiding company such as Inka Expediciones will handle all of the logistical challenges (which are considerable) and also provide some of the most important equipment (good tent, stove, fuel, etc) as well as food. But most importantly, a qualified guide will provide the expertise needed not just to summit, but to survive. The normal route on Aconcagua may not be technical, but it has killed plenty of people who were not prepared for it.

no avatar
Calman

by Calman » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:50 am

Umm... Im beginning to realize its magnitude and a guiding company sounds like the way to go
(skilled mountaineers would probably rather focus on the trip than handling a rookie)

no avatar
Calman

by Calman » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:58 pm

ok thanks, have any advices though on mountains and treks that could build me up to this challange?
in south america

no avatar
DanTheMan

by DanTheMan » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:58 am

Most of the climbers on Aconcagua have no experience, so at least you won't stick out.

Cissa

by Cissa » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:48 pm

I don't know about others here, and this is merely very personal opinion, but if you go to other "beginner" peaks in South America, such as Cotopaxi or Huayna Potosi you'll probably lose interest in doing the normal route on Aconcagua.

Return to Technique and Training