Switzerland 3 week hiking itinerary, need help!

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
qwimjim

Switzerland 3 week hiking itinerary, need help!

by qwimjim » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:19 pm

Hi everyone, I am overwhelmed by the options in France/Switzerland. I'm not complaining, it's a good problem to have :) My wife and I will be in Switzerland for three weeks in September and our only purpose is to hike. I've gotten some great advice on this forum already but would like to post my tentative list of hikes to see what everyone thinks. We only have 3 weeks so I want to make sure we're making the most of it, we probably won't be able to take a trip like this again for a few years. We're travelling with a baby, we've taken her on lots of hikes already and grandma/grandpa will be babysitting for any difficult hikes, scrambling, or hut overnights. We can probably do 2 or 3 overnight hikes in our three weeks, but don't want to do any consecutive overnights. Thanks!

Chamonix: 2 days/1 night, hike/via ferrata to refuge du couvercle and back
Col du Grand St. Bernard
Verbier: 2 days/1 night, Cabane Mont Fort to Cabane de Prafleuri (overnight) to Arolla. Not sure if this is best use of one of our overnights?
Zinal: Hike to Cabane du Grand Mountet or Cabane de Tracuit? Not sure which is better
Zermatt: Train to Gornegrat, walk down to Rifelsee. Or dayhike to Monte Rosa hut and back?

Lauterbrunnen: Schnige Platte to Faulhorn to First
Lauterbrunnen: Cablecar to Mannlichen, walk down to Kleine Scheidegg, up to Eigergletscher, down to Alpigen
Lauterbrunnen: Grutschalp to Murren, cablecar to Schilthorn and back. Walk to Gimmelwald, cablecar to Stechelberg, walk to Lauterbrunnen

Altesch Glacier: Walk to Marjelensee from Rideralp, Bettmermalp, or Bettmerhorn? Or possibly walk to Konkordia Hut and overnight?
Grimselpass: Hike to Sidelhorn or hike up to ridge overlooking Rhone Glacier? Not sure which is better
Sustenpass: Hike to Tierberglihutte or hike to Trifthutte? Not sure which is better
Last edited by qwimjim on Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Woodie Hopper

Re: Switzerland 3 week hiking itinerary, need help!

by Woodie Hopper » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:38 pm

Hey Qwim,

You have a lot of good ideas. I'm just going to comment on the ones I have done (or mostly done).

I'm not sure where your grandparents are, so travel times to some of these locations might be an issue for you. For example, Lauterbrunnen is not hard to get to from Zurich, but Chamonix and Zermatt take considerably more time.

Lauterbrunnen:
Schynige Platte to First via Faulhorn is a nice day, although nothing technical. No overnight needed depending on when you start.
From Mannlichen to anything in front of the Eiger/Moench/Jungfrau is spectacular. You could even overnight in Grindelwald and do the First->S.P. hike above with one overnight. You would take the cable car from Grindelwald to Mannlichen rather than catching it from Wengen.
Murren is special for us, since we got engaged there. I'm not a fan of the uber toursity Schilthorn, unless you're a fan of "On Her Majesty's Secret Service", it might be better to avoid the actual building, although there's nothing wrong with the hike.
Not far from from the Sustenpass, there is a nice via feratta (Taelli Klettersteig) with a nice walk down the back side and over a pass that makes a great loop. No overnight needed.

If you are interested in doing some Swiss via ferattas (klettersteig in German), check out this book (It's available on Amazon, but I picked up a copy from Orel Fuessli in Zurich- English version when I had to change plans around Zermatt D/T weather):

Via Ferrata Switzerland by Iris Kurschner (2005)

Your other hikes I can't comment on.

Woodie

Zermatt: I did the hike to from Riffelalp down to the glacier and most of the way to the Hoernli Hut (I've since been there, and it's a nice hike). There might be fewer people walking there this summer, since they're apparently renovating it.

no avatar
qwimjim

by qwimjim » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:31 pm

We're all flying into Geneva from Canada and renting a car. So with the current itinerary we'd probably spend 4 nights in Chamonix, 3 nights in Verbier, 2 nights in Zermatt, 5 in Wengen or Murren, and the rest I'm not sure yet since I haven't really nailed down what hikes we're going to do. In the Jungfrau area it's just easier to have a home base and take the train back at the end of each day. Will check out that Sustenpass via ferrata, thanks!

Woodie Hopper

by Woodie Hopper » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:43 am

Nice plan: You'll have a great time for sure.

There is a nice page on SP for the via feratta. It's near Meiringen which is west of the Sustenpass (and therefore not far from Interlaken) and great to have a car since it's a small place and you can park there. Rotstock is a short via feratta along the base of the Eiger between the Eiger and Moench that might be interesting since you mentioned hiking to Alpiglen.

If you type "talli" under "routes" you'll find the page.

Woodie

no avatar
Flachlandtiroler

by Flachlandtiroler » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:43 am

qwimjim wrote:Verbier: 2 days/1 night, Cabane Mont Fort to Cabane de Prafleuri (overnight) to Arolla. Not sure if this is best use of one of our overnights?
Zinal: Hike to Cabane du Grand Mountet or Cabane de Tracuit? Not sure which is better

Tracuit is newly rebuilt and frequently overcrowded, as the Bishorn is one of the easiest 4k peaks in the alps. If you plan to overnight there, pay attention for your acclimatization. The ascent to the hut is quite boring, simply a long long uphill.
Grand Mountet is, as the name says one of the if not the most impressive cirque in the Valais IMHO. Two options for ascent so you could do a round trip including the traverse of the lower glacier and a stopover at the beatiful Petit Mountet. Quite long but definitly more rewarding!
The Verbier huts are more visited by hikers than by mountaineers, so there is no early morning hassle. Isn't Mont Fort situated right in skiing area?! We went via Cab. Louvie to Prafleuri AFAIR.

Zermatt: Train to Gornegrat, walk down to Rifelsee. Or dayhike to Monte Rosa hut and back?

First is a short stroll only within the surroundings of the train -- you'll smell it... second IMHO is the good choice if weather permits.

Lauterbrunnen: Schnige Platte to Faulhorn to First
Lauterbrunnen: Cablecar to Mannlichen, walk down to Kleine Scheidegg, up to Eigergletscher, down to Alpigen
Lauterbrunnen: Grutschalp to Murren, cablecar to Schilthorn and back. Walk to Gimmelwald, cablecar to Stechelberg, walk to Lauterbrunnen

From my point of view to get the taste of the mountains it is important to move oneself away from towns, roads, cable etc.; therefore I would choose option no.1.
Maybe the hikes right under the Eiger face are more spectacular...

Altesch Glacier: Walk to Marjelensee from Rideralp, Bettmermalp, or Bettmerhorn? Or possibly walk to Konkordia Hut and overnight?
Grimselpass: Hike to Sidelhorn or hike up to ridge overlooking Rhone Glacier? Not sure which is better
Sustenpass: Hike to Tierberglihutte or hike to Trifthutte? Not sure which is better

Konkordia is a rewarding trip. With unstable weather, turn around at Marjelensee...

Sidelhorn is closer to the big peaks and somewhat quieter than the Furka.

Susten have only been to Tierbergli, which is situated diretly next to the glacier and has an optional ferrata.
Trift is said to be very crowded, in summer there is a long queue before the cable car. All together this trip is much much longer than Tierbergli, where you can drive into the parking at P.2111 (some swiss francs...) and enter the hut in two hours.

no avatar
qwimjim

by qwimjim » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:07 pm

Woodie Hopper wrote:Nice plan: You'll have a great time for sure.

There is a nice page on SP for the via feratta. It's near Meiringen which is west of the Sustenpass (and therefore not far from Interlaken) and great to have a car since it's a small place and you can park there. Rotstock is a short via feratta along the base of the Eiger between the Eiger and Moench that might be interesting since you mentioned hiking to Alpiglen.

If you type "talli" under "routes" you'll find the page.

Woodie

Awesome thanks a lot

no avatar
qwimjim

by qwimjim » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:00 pm

Flachlandtiroler wrote:
qwimjim wrote:Verbier: 2 days/1 night, Cabane Mont Fort to Cabane de Prafleuri (overnight) to Arolla. Not sure if this is best use of one of our overnights?

Tracuit is newly rebuilt and frequently overcrowded, as the Bishorn is one of the easiest 4k peaks in the alps. If you plan to overnight there, pay attention for your acclimatization. The ascent to the hut is quite boring, simply a long long uphill.
Grand Mountet is, as the name says one of the if not the most impressive cirque in the Valais IMHO. Two options for ascent so you could do a round trip including the traverse of the lower glacier and a stopover at the beatiful Petit Mountet. Quite long but definitly more rewarding!

Ah ok, I only learned of Tracuit from your post in my walkers route thread :) So I guess if I only have time for one hike from Zinal, Cabane du Grand Mountet is the better choice? That sounds like a great loop, big day hike but can always retrace steps back instead of crossing the glacier if conditions are not favourable: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=101498

Flachlandtiroler wrote:The Verbier huts are more visited by hikers than by mountaineers, so there is no early morning hassle. Isn't Mont Fort situated right in skiing area?! We went via Cab. Louvie to Prafleuri AFAIR.

Yes the Mont Fort hut would just be the starting point of the hike to Col Termin/Lac Louvie and would overnight at Prafleuri and finish at Arolla. Looks good on paper but not sure if one of my rare opportunities to overnight in a hut should be spent elsewhere (Konkordia, etc)

Flachlandtiroler wrote:

First is a short stroll only within the surroundings of the train -- you'll smell it... second IMHO is the good choice if weather permits.

Ah ok, would Hornlihutte be an even better dayhike than monte rosa hut? Or worthy of an overnight stay if it's too far to dayhike?

Flachlandtiroler wrote:Konkordia is a rewarding trip. With unstable weather, turn around at Marjelensee...

For Konkordia you just walk up the glacier? It's usually dry right up to the hut in September? Given the distance i imagine it doesn't make sense as a dayhike? Thanks!

no avatar
Flachlandtiroler

by Flachlandtiroler » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:02 am

qwimjim wrote:Ah ok, would Hornlihutte be an even better dayhike than monte rosa hut? Or worthy of an overnight stay if it's too far to dayhike?

Hörnli hut is reconstructed in summer 2014 and therefore closed; no overnight possible.
In general this hut is fully booked with Matterhorn aspirants, so forget it I would say.

Nevertheless you can go there as a (long) dayhike; with the cable car to Schwarzsee you can cut several hours. Going down via Stafelalp and the Gorner gorge makes it a round trip.

For Konkordia you just walk up the glacier? It's usually dry right up to the hut in September? Given the distance i imagine it doesn't make sense as a dayhike? Thanks!

Yes, 3x :wink:
Depends on the cable car timetable (Fiescheralp, 1st 7:15 / last 18:00) and of course on your speed :wink: but from the hut webpage it is 5-6h one way with the descent nearly the same...

no avatar
qwimjim

by qwimjim » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:02 pm

Flachlandtiroler wrote:
qwimjim wrote:Ah ok, would Hornlihutte be an even better dayhike than monte rosa hut? Or worthy of an overnight stay if it's too far to dayhike?

Hörnli hut is reconstructed in summer 2014 and therefore closed; no overnight possible.
In general this hut is fully booked with Matterhorn aspirants, so forget it I would say.

Nevertheless you can go there as a (long) dayhike; with the cable car to Schwarzsee you can cut several hours. Going down via Stafelalp and the Gorner gorge makes it a round trip.

Thanks! Which do you think would make for a better dayhike, Hornli or Monte Rosa hut?

qwimjim wrote:For Konkordia you just walk up the glacier? It's usually dry right up to the hut in September? Given the distance i imagine it doesn't make sense as a dayhike? Thanks!

Flachlandtiroler wrote:Yes, 3x :wink:
Depends on the cable car timetable (Fiescheralp, 1st 7:15 / last 18:00) and of course on your speed :wink: but from the hut webpage it is 5-6h one way with the descent nearly the same...

Ok great, would definitely need to overnight then

no avatar
Flachlandtiroler

by Flachlandtiroler » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:41 pm

qwimjim wrote:Thanks! Which do you think would make for a better dayhike, Hornli or Monte Rosa hut?

Regarding length of the hike: As said before, the hike to Hörnli hut can be cut much shorter than Monte Rosa hut.

With occasional fresh snow the Hörnli hut IMHO suits better.

Regarding individual taste: You mentioned you'd like to see glaciers, so Monte Rosa hut is your choice IMHO.
Others prefer to come to famous Matterhorn ("toblerone peak") as close as possible and prefer Hörnli hut therefore.
I myself prefer something without trains etc., less crowded and with good views -- some scrambling also favored; so I liked very much the ascent of Mettelhorn and the Dom hut trail, just to name some more.

no avatar
qwimjim

by qwimjim » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:01 pm

Thanks, it's truly mind boggling how many peaks, trails, and huts there are in the alps. A lifetime's worth

Return to Europe