High Tatras in July: take a tent or not

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
ncst

High Tatras in July: take a tent or not

by ncst » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:22 pm

I will be hiking in the high Tatras at the end of July, probably on both the Polish and Slovakian side. I read that it might be busy, and that camping and bivying is strictly forbidden. Last time, in October I did see people setting up a tent late.

How big is the chance the huts will be completey full/overrun? Can you camp next to the huts?Shall I still take my sleeping pad and tarptent, and risk bivying, or not? Not that I want to break any rules, but if the huts are all supposedly so full, where should I sleep?

Thanks!

visentin

Re: High Tatras in July: take a tent or not

by visentin » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:38 am

Yes, very forbidden. People occasionally do bivouac however, but not in random places, hidden spots high. There are also rocky shelters locally called "Kolibe", but their location are rarely published on the web for obvious reasons... Which country do you plan to do it ? (Rather Slovakia...)
Instqll yourself at dusk and get it packed at dawn. No light, no noise, etc... (ban the headlamp)

yatsek

by yatsek » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:35 am

First and foremost, if you really have to go in peak season, avoid the last week of June/July :lol: (and the beginning of Jul/Aug) as heavy rains are highly likely. Second, when I was able to hike all day (and often half the night) I preferred staying at a guesthouse at the foot of the Tatras and going fast-n-lite.

ncst

by ncst » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:00 pm

Thanks for the replies!
Ive postponed the trip because of the bad weather, and will probably go at the end of August, start from the Slovak side and then cross to the Polish side. From reading other fora, I've decided to stay at the mountain huts in the area. I'll see if it is possible to stay there, and get there early enough etc.

yatsek

by yatsek » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:04 pm

ncst wrote:will probably go at the end of August

In the last week of August, the weather often turns bad too. It seems to me the 3rd week of August (2nd decade?) is usually the sunniest but I can't back this up with any statistical data.

Return to Europe