The Anti-Spray Thread

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
Guyzo

by Guyzo » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:43 pm

Got SHUTDOWN on 5.6 yesterday. :cry: :cry:

dam....

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Everytime I think about it :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I don't wish to keep on living :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

sniff :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

WTF????? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

This is true :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

really :wink: :shock: :? :( :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:06 pm

Get your ass up here and get shut down on some .10 plus's/.11's.

JHH60

by JHH60 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:12 pm

Hiked up Montara Mountain in Pacifica yesterday with the family. It was foggy above 1000' which made the trail up really cool (literally and figuratively). The kids had fun, and even our 8 yr old girl who insists she hates hiking was happy and never whined once!

PS I admit - boasting that the 8 yr old didn't whine is spraying a little...

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:55 pm

The Chief wrote:Get your ass up here and get shut down on some .10 plus's/.11's.

Chief...

at least you can be proud .10/.11/.12 will shut down most folks, but 5.6 im'm mm :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :oops: :oops: :cry:
can't talk now, to overwelmed :cry: :cry:

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:40 pm

knoback wrote:
The Chief wrote:Get your ass up here and get shut down on some .10 plus's/.11's.

If at first you don't suceed, up the ante!

My point EXACTLY!

Hell.. I had my ass handed to me by a .10b last weekend in the Gorge. Even more humbling was when this gal that weighed no more than 100lbs, rolled right in behind me and ran up the moves that kicked my ass, like a butterfly in a field of daisies.

Shit happens. Good days and Bad days. Just move onto another route.

5.6-5.11 whatever. They are just climbs....

cp0915

by cp0915 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:49 pm

While driving home from Death Valley yesterday, I stopped to bag Cinder Hill. Although few have heard of it, Cinder Hill holds special significance. To my knowledge, it is the lowest named summit in the Western Hemisphere. Yes, I bagged a peak whose summit lies at 55 feet below sea level. Beat that. :)

Edit: Son of a gun! I just learned there are three named peaks in the Western Hemisphere that are lower than Cinder Hill!
Last edited by cp0915 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:50 pm

cp0915 wrote:While driving home from Death Valley yesterday, I stopped to bag Cinder Hill. Although few have heard of it, Cinder Hill holds special significance. To my knowledge, it is the lowest named summit in the Western Hemisphere. Yes, I bagged a peak whose summit lies at 55 feet below sea level. Beat that. :)

That's just low end dumpster diving dude. No big deal.....

cp0915

by cp0915 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:52 pm

The Chief wrote:
cp0915 wrote:While driving home from Death Valley yesterday, I stopped to bag Cinder Hill. Although few have heard of it, Cinder Hill holds special significance. To my knowledge, it is the lowest named summit in the Western Hemisphere. Yes, I bagged a peak whose summit lies at 55 feet below sea level. Beat that. :)

That's just low end dumpster diving dude. No big deal.....

Haa! Isn't that the point?

brianhughes

by brianhughes » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:44 pm

Yolo County Road 53 (un-maintained !!). Total 90 minutes car-to-car. Had to turn back halfway up, late for lunch date.

Diggler

by Diggler » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:50 pm

Drove 150 miles yesterday (round-trip) to climb a peak that is below the elevation of Denver. Approximately 20 minutes car-to-car. Cool observatory nearby & beautiful environs, but it does beg the question 'why??!! What a disease to have...

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:23 am

Awesome posts, great to know that we can have relax, BS days, too. It just balances things out and gives a chance to catch our vertical breaths.

Guy, you were benighted on an old skewl 5.6, right? Hell, some of those low 5s in JT are hair-raisers.

They're all just numbers. Wait until I get to JT next spring. You'll feel like Ron Kauk in comparison (not that you aren't already :wink: ).

lisae

by lisae » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:17 am

Diggler wrote:Drove 150 miles yesterday (round-trip) to climb a peak that is below the elevation of Denver. Approximately 20 minutes car-to-car. Cool observatory nearby & beautiful environs, but it does beg the question 'why??!! What a disease to have...

Mt. Hamilton?

lisae

by lisae » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:25 am

cp0915 wrote:I'm not sure if this belongs here, or in the Obsessed thread. But here goes...

A couple years back, I got on this kick to climb every named summit in the county where I live. This is no trivial task, as the county is sprawling, much of it remote and difficult to access, and these peaks number in the hundreds.

About two months (and 60 peaks) into this project of mine, I found myself driving 30 miles one afternoon after work to bag one of the peaks on the list. Fortunately, good dirt roads allowed me to drive across the open desert to within 1/4 mile of the base of the thing. I then walked 20 feet of uphill to stand on the highpoint. This damn named peak had a whopping 20 feet of prominence. Then and there I lost all interest in my project.

Clearly I didn't learn any lessons though. I'm still trying to tick off every peak that can be seen from the town I live in. There are hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of them. Ridiculous.

I'd say it belongs in the obsession thread. :-)

But it also sounds fun, to me. I bought a guidebook for walking and running routes in my area. I have been checking off the routes for the last year or so and am a lot more familiar with the area.

Mark Straub

by Mark Straub » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:54 am

Once, I was a child. And life was good.

Then, as I became a teenager, I found a liking, nay, almost an obsession for the mountains. Hikes, to scrambles, and now to climbs.

My innocence is gone and all I want to do is climb...but I lack a car. So I am stuck here.

I would LOVE an opportunity to bag a 20-foot prominence peak on my own schedule. That would be fun. But alas, no car, and no money for insurance (it all goes to my climbing gear. See this conundrum I have gotten myself into?)

In the words of Fred Beckey: WILL BELAY FOR FOOD

-Mark

Diggler

by Diggler » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:41 am

lisae wrote:
Diggler wrote:Drove 150 miles yesterday (round-trip) to climb a peak that is below the elevation of Denver. Approximately 20 minutes car-to-car. Cool observatory nearby & beautiful environs, but it does beg the question 'why??!! What a disease to have...

Mt. Hamilton?

Close- Copernicus Peak (well, then Mt. Hamilton...). Do you understand???

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander