The Beaten Path

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
trent777

The Beaten Path

by trent777 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:56 pm

Hello all,

I'm planning on hiking the Beaten Path from Clarks Fork to East Rosebud mid August. Does anyone know a good way to find a shuttle for a reasonable price?

Thanks

no avatar
scholzcarlson

Re: The Beaten Path

by scholzcarlson » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:03 pm

Hi! Me and my family of 4 are interested in doing almost exactly the same thing. We were just figuring out a similar problem. The best we could find was the Red Lodge Taxi and Shuttle Service but to be transported from East Rosebud to Cooke City (we were thinking we would start in Cooke City but leave our car in East Rosebud) is over $400. We were just looking for someone who might be doing the same thing as us so that we could shuttle together and split the cost. We would probably need to do the shuttling on August 15. Our plan would be for one of us to drive from Cooke City (through Red Lodge) with our car, leave it in the East Rosebud parking lot and shuttle back to Cooke City. Get back to us if you would be interested in this. Thanks!

The following user would like to thank scholzcarlson for this post
trent777

no avatar
trent777

by trent777 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:53 pm

I would love to work something out but there is one minor problem. We are flying into Billings on the 15th so the earliest we could work this out is August 16th. But I have some good news I was able to find a shuttle for below $300 which is still a bit pricey which is still pricey for us. if you would like to spit the cost of that on the 16th we would be very interested!

no avatar
scholzcarlson

by scholzcarlson » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:44 pm

This sounds promising. What shuttle did you find for $300? Our plan was to stay in Cooke City. We could move a day so that on the morning of the 16th, one of us would drive our car to East Rosebud Lake and leave it. Our idea was that the shuttle would pick us up there and deliver us back to the trailhead near Cooke City where we would have left our gear and the rest of our party. I'm guessing you are renting a car in Billings. If we split it we could do it for $150 each which would be great. If you were planning to hike the other direction, maybe there is another way to do it. We are a total of four in our party, but only 1 driver.

no avatar
trent777

by trent777 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:49 am

Sounds good we are planning on driving to East Rosebud early in the morning and leaving our car there then the shuttle can pick us up and bring us to Cooke City. We will be staying near Billings the night before and we will be using a Rental car. Yellowstone Roadrunner said they could do it for about 250. We were planning on hiking from Cooke city also because we heard it was a bit harder. Get back to me and we can begin hashing out the details.

no avatar
scholzcarlson

by scholzcarlson » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:26 pm

Alright this is sounding like a good plan. What time do you think you could get to East Rosebud? Do you know how many people fit in the shuttle? (And also how many are in your party?) Depending on how many could fit we would either stay in Cooke City and just have one person drive and shuttle back or stay in Billings or Red Lodge and have all of us do the shuttle. We think we can move our plans to the 16th.

b.

by b. » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:18 am

If you both have a car, you could shuttle each other, trade keys on the trail or before, and meet back at the end. That would cost $0 but one group would have to hike up from East Rosebud, which is considerably more difficult. There are great campsites at Dewey Lake where you could set a meeting.

no avatar
trent777

by trent777 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:18 pm

Hey I was mistaken about the cheaper shuttle I think we will have to go with Red lodge unless we can find cheaper but we only have 2 in our party and we could probably get to the trail head by 9 a.m. If you want to trade keys in the middle we would be willing to do so but I don't think we are up for starting at East Rosebud

no avatar
scholzcarlson

by scholzcarlson » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:05 pm

We'd be willing to trade keys as well, but we had the same thought about starting from East Rosebud Lake. It looks like you do a bunch of extra climbing if you do it that way. I just texted Red Lodge Taxi to see if they can take 6 people with packs. If they can, our party would save 3 or 4 hours of driving by going straight to East Rosebud Lake. If not, we can stay in Cooke City and I'll drive around and meet you at 9am on Sunday, August 16. I'll keep you posted. My real name is Doug Scholz-Carlson. If you want to friend me on Facebook, we can stay in touch that way. If others are reading this public board, please post if you want to join this shuttle on August 16.

no avatar
scholzcarlson

by scholzcarlson » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:44 pm

I just heard back from Red Lodge Taxi. They can do a 7 passenger van from East Rosebud to Cooke City the morning of August 16th for $545 including gratuity. They say that is tight but doable for 6 people with packs. I'll propose an uneven split $300 for us and $245 for you to keep it simple. I'm still waiting to hear from the other guy who runs shuttles (Beau). If this sounds alright to you, I'll go ahead and book it.

no avatar
trent777

by trent777 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:53 pm

That sounds alright with me! Wish we could find something cheaper but we will take what we can get. Please text me further details and sorry about the late reply. My number is 616-389-5414. Thanks again!

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)