The stupid things I did before I knew better...

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
fatdad

Re: The stupid things I did before I knew better...

by fatdad » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:39 pm

Geez, too many to list, though a couple spring to mind:

1. Rapping off a single, sideways placed stopper.
2. Setting up a hanging belay off a single, rusty bolt.
Keep in mind the two above were done when I was 14.

3. Not bringing enough gear on Sacherer Cracker (.10a) in the Valley, so I balance myself at a stance with no gear, untie from the rope and lower it to my partner, who raps off a belay ledge 40' up, runs to our packs on the ground, clips in some bigger gear, climbs back to the belay ledge, while I hand over hand the gear back up, tie back in and start leading again. (OK, I was only 16 then).

4. On sight soloing a multipitch route without a typo, thinking the route would be obvious. Did that TWICE, on Snake Dike and E. Face of Whitney. Sadly, when I did both of those, I definitely knew better.

Tangeman

by Tangeman » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:09 am

My first backpacking trip when I was 12 was me, a bunch of other kids, and two 20-somethings who were supposed to "take care" of us, but that's a misleader because they were both as dumb as we were. :P

Naturally, being all cool and stuff, we packed in all the ingredients for bacon cheesburgers. Yeah, that's right. Double bacon cheeseburgers at that. It was awesome until we realized they attracted every bear in a 5 mile radius. Needless to say that was an...interesting night :D

One the same trip I ate a ham, cheese, lettuce and mayo sandwich that had been in my pocket for 3 days. The lettuce was brown. :shock:

fatdad

by fatdad » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:36 pm

BTW, re the dude who climbed Rainier in jeans, Hugh Burton (Yosemite hardman from the 70s) supposedly climbed the Cassin Ridge in jeans.

mcorbs28

by mcorbs28 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:03 pm

wow.... where to start? i should just start a post called "the stupid things i do because i don't know better..."

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:03 am

This wasn't me but I what I saw. Desolation Wilderness (Calif) and there is a "hiker" with an ice ax dangling from his pack. Late August and no ice or snow to be found. Am I naive, is there some use this guy might have had for the ax? Or ........

simonov

Re:

by simonov » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:16 pm

simonov wrote:I had cheap "waffle stomper" boots and the warmest outer garment I had as a teen during most of the year was a single-wall cotton Army jacket my brother had left behind (in the winter I wore a ski jacket). I wore that Army jacket everywhere, even on a week-long trek along the High Sierra Trail in August 1976, when it snowed on us at one point.[/color]

Not long ago I found some slides I took on that trip (it was July, not August).

Here's the Army jacket and the Kilimanjaro pack (with aftermarket hip belt), and cheap sleeping bag at the start of the hike:

Only three days later:

The black plastic bag is full of my patrol's trash.

Sadly, the boy becomes a man, eventually:

Nunc est bibendum.

The following user would like to thank simonov for this post
chugach mtn boy, John Duffield, myles

Jacky Chan

Re:

by Jacky Chan » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:20 am

lasvegaswraith wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:I once wore white shoes after labor day.

THE AUDACITY!!!!!

I've done plenty of stupid stuff, but my wife says I don't have enough time cuz she has a paper to finish tonight....

This is just awesome :D
I once wore white tennis shoes for like 20 miles, was stupid enough of me 8) After the hike it was unrecognizable!

Previous

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander