The Way Back

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Diego Sahagún

The Way Back

by Diego Sahagún » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:05 pm

The Long Walk, did it ever happen?

http://www.explorersweb.com/trek/news.php?id=19859

Diego Sahagún

Re: The Way Back

by Diego Sahagún » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:48 pm

tazz, read that -> Gliniecki: "I have solid evidence Glinski didn't do The Long Walk":

http://www.explorersweb.com/trek/news.php?id=19856

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:27 pm

You're welcome tazz. Perhaps I should go to watch the movie. Does anybody watch The Way Back :?:

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:14 pm

Absolutely one of the best stories of all time, one of my top two favorite books. The controversy over this half century has done nothing but bring about more interest in the story. The fact that Slavomir was able to keep everyone guessing until his death was pretty wicked. Only time I ever had ever had a serious conversation with someone from the main stream film industry was regarding this book.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:18 pm

I dropped the penny when he began talking about going weeks through the dessert without water.

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:24 pm

Dow Williams wrote:Absolutely one of the best stories of all time, one of my top two favorite books. The controversy over this half century has done nothing but bring about more interest in the story. The fact that Slavomir was able to keep everyone guessing until his death was pretty wicked. Only time I ever had ever had a serious conversation with someone from the main stream film industry was regarding this book.

What's the other favourite book between your first two :?:

Somehow the thread's book reminds me of Seven Years in Tibet...

WouterB

by WouterB » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:32 pm

Reminds me of "as far as my feet will carry me", which I've mentioned here on SP before. There's a movie about that one too, but I much prefer the book. I've read it both in Dutch and in German (non-translated version) and thought it was an amazing read.

The story is much the same, except that this one is actually... true.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:39 pm

Diego Sahagún wrote:The Long Walk, did it ever happen?

http://www.explorersweb.com/trek/news.php?id=19859

It was an excellent book, almost hard to believe. And I guess there is some questions being raised.

fatdad

by fatdad » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:05 pm

tazz wrote:Yeah I see that. It is still a good book. I don't care if it is fake or not. Of course it gave it more importance when thinking it was fact. That still won't change my mind on the fact that it is a good book. Just move it from the non-fiction section to the fiction section. :wink:

again, thanks for the link.

I agree. I wanted to believe it's true, though the rational part of me knows that's unlikely. Possible, probably only remotely possible, but unlikely. Also, his failure to discuss the trip after the book was published, the failure of anyone else to surface to corroborate, etc., etc. Ultimately, however, I don't really care. Still a gripping read.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:44 pm

Diego Sahagún wrote:
Dow Williams wrote:Absolutely one of the best stories of all time, one of my top two favorite books. The controversy over this half century has done nothing but bring about more interest in the story. The fact that Slavomir was able to keep everyone guessing until his death was pretty wicked. Only time I ever had ever had a serious conversation with someone from the main stream film industry was regarding this book.

What's the other favourite book between your first two :?:

Somehow the thread's book reminds me of Seven Years in Tibet...

We Die Alone...a legit and well documented story of a Norwegian spy by the name of Jan Baalsrud. Howarth, the author, had his own doubt of some of the circumstances until he visited most each and every location involved in Jan's story and confirmed his recollection via various, but separate, witness accounts. I have original editions of both books. I have often toyed with the idea of following his footsteps, including a very cold and arduous swim.

fatdad

by fatdad » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:56 pm

We Die Alone is awesome. I mean, the guy has to outrun a bunch of armed Nazis, barefoot in a frigid Norwegian winter. The story kind of bogs down later (which I won't get into for those who haven't read it) but a great read nevertheless.

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:41 am

Yesterday I watched the movie. It's a fair film, too many walks in deserts and open spaces without anything more. Even they found the Himalayas just after crossing The Great Wall of China :?
Last edited by Diego Sahagún on Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blazin

by blazin » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:02 pm

It doesn't open in the US till January 21, but for those of you in the DC area I just found out there'll be a screening at National Geographic this week:

Thursday, January 13, 2011
7:00 p.m.
National Geographic Live! Washington D.C.
Grosvenor Auditorium
1600 M Street NW
Washington, DC 20036
All Tickets: $10
To purchase the tickets please visit:
http://events.nationalgeographic.com/events/films/2011/01/13/way-back/

fatdad

by fatdad » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:00 pm

Gary Schenk wrote:
MoapaPk wrote:I dropped the penny when he began talking about going weeks through the dessert without water.

Same here. I never finished after reading the bit about the Gobi.

That is a problem for the narrative, though you can partially explain it if you were inclined to do so: he padded the story; he lost track of the actual number of days; they compensated by eating the snakes they found, etc. You also have to consider that, if you've bought the premise of the story thus far, you have a group of extremely toughened individuals. They walked in chains behind trucks to Siberia, survived a gulag, walked all the way from Siberia to the Gobi, etc., etc. The story is a grand succession of hardships.

If you also factor in things from other survival stories that we know to be true, we know that people have an amazing capacity for endurance that goes beyond what we estimate when sitting on the sofa reading a book. Any misstatement of fact doesn't render every other fact implausible. But then, if you didn't like the book, that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:20 pm

Have you seen the movie :?: What's your opinion about it :?:

Next

Return to General