Three Fingers Lookout

Find climbing partners in the Pacific Northwest.
no avatar
mrjohnston64

Three Fingers Lookout

by mrjohnston64 » Fri May 01, 2015 2:16 am

I am looking to find out if the lookout cabin is still open and in good condition. I want to come down south and to scramble the peak in August. Is this a good time for accessing it? I have not seen any posts about it since 2012, so I wonder has anyone been there recently?

MJ

Josh Lewis

Re: Three Fingers Lookout

by Josh Lewis » Sun May 03, 2015 1:53 am

It was fine as of Aug 3, 2014. Now whether the ladders are still hanging strong since then I don't know. Don't trust the rangers on this subject, for years they've been lying by saying the ladders are broken. They said that to me in 2008. Same goes for 2014 which was not true. I think it has to do with them not wanting to be liable. The Everett Mountaineers still maintain the lookout.

The following user would like to thank Josh Lewis for this post
mrjohnston64

AlpJumpingBen

by AlpJumpingBen » Sun May 03, 2015 4:35 am

Hi MJ,

I visited and stayed overnight as of Sept 2014. (We even got to be part of the lookout's maintenance!) Be aware of the 10 mi approach involved just to get to the "trailhead", which is often biked. More info can probably be obtained on wta.org. For hikers/scramblers, the summit trail is generally blocked by a steep snowfield through July, which is why most people ascend it late season. That said, this season's snowpack is particularly low, so you might be able to access it much earlier this year. There shouldn't be any problem by August. It's a beautiful adventure!

The following user would like to thank AlpJumpingBen for this post
mrjohnston64

no avatar
mrjohnston64

by mrjohnston64 » Mon May 04, 2015 3:20 am

Thanks for the information, I will make sure to post an update when I return! I had originally thought to try it in May, but was unsure if the cloud cover would make the trip worthwhile. I will be bringing my bike with me, although I am used to long humps in the woods, I figured why walk when I can bike! It will be mid August when I get there, we have a provincial holiday then, so I am making a week of it.

Mike J

no avatar
mrjohnston64

by mrjohnston64 » Mon May 04, 2015 3:23 am

Hey Josh, Thanks for the update. I will be heading down to Washington in mid August. It will be likely the start of the week when I get there, so I hope to see that the trail is not too crowded. I will be bringing my bike for the venture, and will post an update with pics once I get out of the woods.

Mike J

Return to US - Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)