"TOPO! California" software experiences

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
mungeclimber

"TOPO! California" software experiences

by mungeclimber » Mon May 24, 2010 4:29 am

Hey all,

I've got TOPO! verson 3.4.2 (copyright 2004), and I switched to Win7 OS recently and at first thought I wasn't going to be able to use it anymore. I got a grey screen on 7.5' map layer.

So I bought the newer version copyright 2010 since it was on sale, but haven't opened it because I just got the old version to work.

Is the new version worth it?

Things I dislike immensely about the old one...

* switching discs to move between sections of the sierra. Is this still an issue? Assuming not now that we have DVDs. But best to check.

* navigating the maps required clicking the arrow next to the border. Not like current web based maps that are 'grab and go' screens. Did the new version fix this?

* drop down menus seemed archaic and proprietary at the time. any change? intuitive?

* mapping tools and graphing seemed hard to use, but doable. compare to mapmyride nowadays? comparable?

Other questions:

* GPS usability? I don't use one yet, but may. Thoughts here?

* printability? having to max an 8.5 x 11 was not straightforward due to options to uncheck on old version. same now or different?

* do you use free online mapping services like maps.bing.com or googs for examining terrain and marking out features? how do you use them?

Feel free to expound on your experience. I'm looking mostly to address these major issues to get [/list]

fedak

by fedak » Mon May 24, 2010 4:58 am

I'm not sure what version they added it, but you can load all of the data discs onto your hard drive so that you don't need to swap them.

Kurt Wedberg

by Kurt Wedberg » Mon May 24, 2010 4:59 am

I have TOPO 4.2 copyright 2006. It works well with my Garmin 60 CSx GPS unit. I haven't switched to the 2010 version yet. I really like the 2006 version. If they improved it in 2010 I'm sure it's a great product. This site may answer some of your questions.

I don't have a printer capable of printing much larger than 8.5 x 14 so when I find I need a bunch of maps I just bring store bought maps needed for a trip. Tom Harrison makes some excellent maps for the Sierra.

no avatar
mungeclimber

by mungeclimber » Mon May 24, 2010 5:31 am

kewl thx for the input

keep em coming

no avatar
mungeclimber

by mungeclimber » Mon May 24, 2010 5:34 am

oh, and I'll add that the navigation movement has always been a little herky jerky.

gone in the 06 version?

Bubba Suess

Re: "TOPO! California" software experiences

by Bubba Suess » Mon May 24, 2010 4:47 pm

mungeclimber wrote:I just got the old version to work.

How did you do that? I may be upgrading to Win7 soon and want to be prepared. Did you have to get any updates or anything?

no avatar
mungeclimber

Re: "TOPO! California" software experiences

by mungeclimber » Mon May 24, 2010 5:22 pm

Bubba Suess wrote:
mungeclimber wrote:I just got the old version to work.

How did you do that? I may be upgrading to Win7 soon and want to be prepared. Did you have to get any updates or anything?

no changes that I implemented. just used the installer disc. Actually I've never implemented any updates at all, IIRC.

Return to California