Tragedy in El Chorro, Málaga (Spain)

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
Diego Sahagún

Tragedy in El Chorro, Málaga (Spain)

by Diego Sahagún » Tue May 22, 2012 8:10 pm

no avatar
poppy10

El Chorro, Málaga (Spain)

by poppy10 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:39 pm

I remember this awful accident in Malaga. The lady was climbing in the Los Frontales area in El Churro I think. It was a very tragic event.

I have heard that many still enjoy climbing & walking up there & that El Churro is absolutely stunning. You can understand why people go there.

The next time we are in Nerja, first we will hike up the fabulous River Chillar & try and find the waterfall. Then we would like to venture up to El Churro. Would you recommend a taxi there with our walking equipment or could you walk from Nerja?

no avatar
poppy10

Re: Tragedy in El Chorro, Málaga (Spain)

by poppy10 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:58 pm

only details i can find so far about Nerja is https://www.summitpost.org/almendron/412567 But i cant find how far it is get from Nerja to El Churro or how best to get there.

topvar

Re: Tragedy in El Chorro, Málaga (Spain)

by topvar » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:04 pm

Ha, your post made me smile... because you could walk from Nerja to El Chorro if you had 25 hours available! But seriously, what we did was jump in a taxi from Nerja to El Chorro which takes just over one hour. El Chorro is a small village near Álora in Malaga province and the gateway to the famous Camino del Rey walkway. The path, which clings to the rock face 100m up, was built between 1901 and 1905 to allow workers to get to the power stations on either side of El Chorro gorge. The trip was well worth it though, as the Camino del Rey is absolutely stunning and something you should not miss while visiting Nerja.

Return to News