Unusual ski tours

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
lansing

Unusual ski tours

by lansing » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:06 pm

With this series of season-opener storms on the way, my mind has been fixated on snow and making plans for the winter. I plan on spending most of my time in Tahoe and other Sierra locales, but I've also been thinking of ski tours in unlikely locations elsewhere in California. The type of place that rarely gets snow but could hold it for a few days at least if conditions were right, and has a well established hiking route.

For example, I wonder if it would be feasible to get a tour in on one of the high Santa Lucia range peaks right after a big, cold storm? Cone Peak could be pretty killer, on account of the ocean views.

What about in the northern coastal ranges?

Just throwing this idea out there to see if anyone has thoughts or experience.

lansing

by lansing » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:11 pm

Found this old thread with some inspiration...

http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewt ... sc&start=0

I was thinking that a mountain bike with a rack could make a pretty effective mode of approach for those coast range fire roads.

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

Re: Unusual ski tours

by Bob Burd » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:44 pm

lansing wrote:For example, I wonder if it would be feasible to get a tour in on one of the high Santa Lucia range peaks right after a big, cold storm? Cone Peak could be pretty killer, on account of the ocean views.

If you have a fire road going to the summit it could be fun, but not so much where there are trails. Most of them have encroaching chaparral that hangs even heavier into the trail when laden with snow. I hiked along the Pine Ridge Trail under such conditions and it sucked, big time. The snow in the Santa Lucia Range doesn't consolidate, it just melts into a sloppy mess.

McCannster

by McCannster » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:55 pm

I have heard of people snowboarding/skiing up on Loma Prieta and Mt Umunhum area after a cold storm. Haven't done it myself, but would love to sometime.

Check out this guy snowboarding down Mt. Hamilton

no avatar
Palisades79

by Palisades79 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:24 pm

Take a look at the trip forum at www.thebackcountry.net . There are posts each season on the Coast Range . Telemarktips.com also has regular Eastern Nevada updates .

jibmaster

by jibmaster » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:58 pm

Hull Mountain will soon be in shape. Been skiing this mountain since the mid 90's.
http://www.thebackcountry.net/bb/viewtopic.php?t=138

Or how 'bout some Mendocino Pass skiing.
http://www.thebackcountry.net/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1335

From the same parking spot, you can summit and ski Anthony Peak.
http://www.thebackcountry.net/bb/viewtopic.php?t=398

Snow Mountain is always fun.
http://www.thebackcountry.net/bb/viewtopic.php?t=342

Black Butte can be approached from two directions. Out of Covelo or from
the Sacramento Valley.
http://www.thebackcountry.net/bb/viewtopic.php?t=356

-----------------------------
Coastal Crest Snow Patrol

jibmaster

by jibmaster » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:49 pm

What days off do you have? Do you have a 4X4?
Hull Mountain is easy to get to. Sort of.
The Coastal Crest Snow Patrol is always looking for new members.
I go up Tue/Wed's.
Hoping to see some other folks skiing in Mendocino National Forest.

--------------------
Coastal Crest Snow Patrol

Diggler

by Diggler » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:03 pm

Klamaths & Trinity Alps tend to get a lot of snow in the winter. Lassen Volcanic Ntl Park is a great place to experience in the winter. If you are willing to do the drive, a circumnavigation of Crater Lake (central OR) has always seemed very appealing to me (I've tried once, & need to go back to do it!).

lansing

by lansing » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:50 am

Is 4WD required for the mendo spots? I currently drive a low clearance front wheel drive sedan so rough roads with snow/ice can be a challenge. My weekends are typically on the weekends.

Those trip reports at thebackcountry are killer, though. Really hope I get a chance to get up there this season. Bit of a drive from SF but seems like it would be worth it for the change of pace.

jibmaster

by jibmaster » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:50 am

Best place to go if you have a low clearance vehicle is Mendocino Pass out of Covelo(Round Valley). Highway 162.
You can access Black Butte, Anthony Peak and of course, all the skiing just off the Pass itself.
They plow the road here.
All other peaks require some ballsy 4wheeling.
I got some time off in January, so I could make it on a few weekends then.

tanneyman13

by tanneyman13 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:24 am

1000Pks wrote:There's been skiing on the top of Mt. Diablo (3,849') and Mt. Tam (2,541'). You have to time it right and even wait years for the op. Back in the 1970's, I recall cross country skiing in Sacramento.

if you live in the bay area i would definitely recommend checking out the local peaks. i hiked rose peak which is in the ohlone wilderness last winter and there was A LOT of snow. i was truely amazed at how much snow there was... ill see if i can dig up my photos and post a few. it actually got to the point where hiking any further in it was going to be a royal pain without snowshoes. fairly easy access to rose peak, youll have it to yourself once you get out there and anyone in the area will think your insane for skiing out there. like 1000pks says you might have to wait for the right year but to say you skied the bay area puts you in a prestigious group. go for it!

Return to California